Lowe 1648 MV floor and bow deck

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swump

Reaction score
Here are a few pictures from a 2002 Lowe MV 1648 I bought this Fall with a nice running 1981 Johnson 15. The boat had barely been used, and stored in a garage.

I stand up fly fish from the bow, so I want a long deck that extends to the middle seat, which will serve as a step up to the deck. Two hatches that open from center to gunwales. I'm putting a deck on the floor between the seats that I'll probably carpet.

After more research than I do when I make investments, I've chosen to use micro MCA treated wood (here in NC Home Depot sells MCA, Lowes still sells ACQ) . The manufacturer says it's compatible with aluminum and I'll rarely put the boat in salt, so I'll take the chance.

2X4 frame, stainless and epoxy coated hardware. 23/32 MCA plywood, and ribbed indoor/outdoor carpet. Pretty routine modifications, but I think my framing is a bit unusual. Used some old ACQ 2X4's when we made some bad cuts and ran out (working 30 miles from the lumber store). None of the old ACQ contacts aluminum.

Here are a few pictures of the framing, plywood deck and carpeting (looks to be in reverse order), carefully selected to best hide shoddy workmanship.

Attachments

• IMG_6938.JPG
    IMG_6938.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,301
  • IMG_6934.JPG
    IMG_6934.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,300
  • Copy of IMG_6942.JPG
    Copy of IMG_6942.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,300
  • Copy of IMG_6945.JPG
    Copy of IMG_6945.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,300
  • IMG_7066.JPG
    IMG_7066.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,300
  • IMG_7090.JPG
    IMG_7090.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 1,300
  • IMG_7071.JPG
    IMG_7071.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 1,300
Congrats!

Certainly a unique decking design. I don't think I have seen it quite like that on here yet....

A bit heavy for my tastes but it looks like a clean job and will certainly be a sturdy one!

Workmanship looks good to me! Carpet is so forgiving, lol. I made a few to many "rough cuts" that I was able to hide with the carpet.

1648....ahhhhh...my dream boat. Someday I will have one...

One thought I did have....I noticed in the pictures it looks like you have not tied the frame to the the floor of the boat at all. If you do some vertical bracing it would make it all that more strong and put less strain on your side supports. Seems that you made it to be sturdy so I wondered why you didn't do that.

Jdholmes said:
One thought I did have....I noticed in the pictures it looks like you have not tied the frame to the the floor of the boat at all. If you do some vertical bracing it would make it all that more strong and put less strain on your side supports. Seems that you made it to be sturdy so I wondered why you didn't do that.

Thanks for the comments.

I actually was considering putting a vertical support under the center of the rear joist. Good suggestion, I will for sure.

Regarding weight, I fish alone more than half the time and I generally don't carry lots of gear. No bait and I almost never keep fish, so only a small cooler for lunch and brown malt beverages. I will add a bow mount hand control troll motor. And that little Johnson weighs about 75 lbs. So it's really only that stuff few rods, and me and the extra 30 or so extra pounds of beer residual I have to haul around everywhere I go. The weight up front actually trims the boat out pretty well. All that said, I'm sure I overbuilt the frame.

Regarding the trolling motor (maybe I should post this question on another forum); I'm looking hard at a Minn Kota Edge hand control with a hinged mount.
https://www.amazon.com/Minn-Kota-Control-Bowmount-Trolling/dp/B005GRCJS8

Any thoughts on whether a 45" shaft is adequate for this boat? I plan to add a handle extension so the handle will be near waist level. But I'm wondering whether I might need the 55. Thanks.

Latest posts