Lowe 16x48 Restoration

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: File comment: If you'll remember, the back transom piece was cut a little big to allow welding to the sides. This wasn't the route I wanted to go but I didn't know of any other way to do it. After welding, I came back across with a grinder and took off a lot of the weld and the edge of the new transom piece. I had to be careful not to go too far and take too much of the weld, rendering all that work useless. It worked out better than I thought and I cleaned it up with a flap disc which really blends the aluminum well. Hope its not too hard to see but this picture shows part of the weld and transom edge ground and rounded off.

Another way to construct the transom is to let the bottom overhang the transom rather than the other way around. Here is a pic of the boat I built.

https://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo22/sparkscustomboats/Done15-1.jpg

Stern looks real nice.
If Stanley doesn't warranty it,you can always make it stronger and weld it back together.

Wow. I never broke one like that. All of mine were damaging the internals.

You may find that if you aren't using it that much, you can probably buy the Harbor Freight pneumatic one for the same price as renting a quality one. Then, you have it for random jobs in the future too, if you need to pull 3 or 4 rivets while installing a new gadget on your boat.

bassboy1 said:

You may find that if you aren't using it that much, you can probably buy the Harbor Freight pneumatic one for the same price as renting a quality one. Then, you have it for random jobs in the future too, if you need to pull 3 or 4 rivets while installing a new gadget on your boat.

Well maybe I'll look into that. Do you have a particular one in mind from Harbor Freight? Its gonna take 2 weeks to send this one in and get a replacement. If I do get a HF pneumatic, maybe I could just sell the Stanley replacement on Ebay? Thanks

wyodeputy said:
bassboy1 said:

Well maybe I'll look into that. Do you have a particular one in mind from Harbor Freight? Its gonna take 2 weeks to send this one in and get a replacement. If I do get a HF pneumatic, maybe I could just sell the Stanley replacement on Ebay? Thanks
Heres one. Sometimes, they go on sale for something like 12 or 15 bucks.
https://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93458

Sell it, aw come on, you can never have too many tools, even if they are duplicates. :lol:

bassboy1 said:
wyodeputy said:
bassboy1 said:

Heres one. Sometimes, they go on sale for something like 12 or 15 bucks.
https://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93458

Sell it, aw come on, you can never have too many tools, even if they are duplicates. :lol:

Oh wow ... if I'd have known they were THAT cheap, I'd never bought the manual one ! I'm gonna buy one ... thanks for the insight on this !

Looks real nice.
Going to be a hole new boat.
Just curious,why you decide on putting the hatch that way?

Zum said:
Looks real nice.
Going to be a hole new boat.
Just curious,why you decide on putting the hatch that way?

Hey Zum,

Do you mean so the hatch lays open rather than lifts open? I wanted it this way so I wouldn't have to hold it open with one hand while pulling out the gas tank or battery with the other ... and I didn't want to install a gas shock. I considered putting the hatch in the floor of the deck too, but would have had to beef it up considerably to hold my weight. Which way do you prefer?

I normally just see them installed on the deck ,was all.
I'm thinking the side install may be a better idea.If theres nothing that you to get to constantly(often).I like the fact that you don't have to stand on it(even if it does hold your weight)and I think you could make it more watertight than a deck mounted hatch.

I didn't go back through your posts,what are you planning to put in there?

awesome man!! I really like that front deck, it gives me a few ideas.. Are you going to carpet the aluminum that you put in?

Zum said:
I normally just see them installed on the deck ,was all.
I'm thinking the side install may be a better idea.If theres nothing that you to get to constantly(often).I like the fact that you don't have to stand on it(even if it does hold your weight)and I think you could make it more watertight than a deck mounted hatch.

I didn't go back through your posts,what are you planning to put in there?

Just a battery and gas tank and then I'll have room for miscellaneous items (life jackets, dry box, etc) Think the gas fumes will be a problem especially with the battery uder there? I did it on my last boat and never had any problems but Dad is a little concerned? What do you think?

russ010 said:
awesome man!! I really like that front deck, it gives me a few ideas.. Are you going to carpet the aluminum that you put in?

Hey Russ, I had originally planned on using diamond plate but then I saw a comment from Jim (I think) about using black rubber mats from Tractor Supply and after looking into it, I'm really leaning towards that idea for the front deck and the open floor of the boat. Plus that diamond plate is incredibly expensive (which I thought I was prepared for) but as I move through this project the $$ is disappearing fast so I'm having to cut some corners. By-the-way, I really liked your live well design. Thanks

Latest posts