Lowe 16x48 Restoration

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wyodeputy said:
Zum said:
I normally just see them installed on the deck ,was all.
I'm thinking the side install may be a better idea.If theres nothing that you to get to constantly(often).I like the fact that you don't have to stand on it(even if it does hold your weight)and I think you could make it more watertight than a deck mounted hatch.

I didn't go back through your posts,what are you planning to put in there?

Just a battery and gas tank and then I'll have room for miscellaneous items (life jackets, dry box, etc) Think the gas fumes will be a problem especially with the battery uder there? I did it on my last boat and never had any problems but Dad is a little concerned? What do you think?
i would think you woul in florida u have 2 have ventilator ducts in a encloused area where your gas tank is

I think I remember you posting that the gas and batteries were going up there.Might be alittle bit of a pain or atleast awkward to put a full tank of gas in through that hatch,have to take it out to fuel it also.?
Just to make your Dad happy and maybe it is needed,vents wouldn't be to hard for to install.Then he could bug you about ever time you talk about the boat.:)

Mock up day. We needed to get the mud buddy on the transom to mark some holes that needed drilling. Ryan saved us some back breaking work bringing over a tractor to lift 300 lb motor. I'm glad we were able to do this as it gave me an opportunity to size up the fit on the transom. After looking it over, I've got some questions as it doesn't look as if its sitting low enough, although the measurements seem to be the same as the boat which the motor came off of (and the guys at mudbuddy mounted the motor) So I've got an email and picture into them and I hope they say its all in my head and the fit is good... standby.P2130005.JPGP2130007.JPGP2130009.JPG

Attachments

• P2130010.JPG
    P2130010.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 927
The prop does look a slight bit high.As the boat moves through the water,a wave comes off the back,maybe this is enough water to keep the prop submerged. :?

ben2go said:
The prop does look a slight bit high.As the boat moves through the water,a wave comes off the back,maybe this is enough water to keep the prop submerged. :?

Yes it is a bit high and here's why" I'm finding out from the mud buddy guys that I'm dealing with two factors here, only one of which I considered, which was the transom height. I'm good there but the angle of the transom on this boat differs greatly from my other boat; its rocked back whereas the other boat had none (or very little) They're telling me I can buy a shim from MB to counter the angle but I'm thinking I'm gonna have to notch that new transom .... uggggh ! #-o After all that work ..... this is really, really discouraging ... had it the way I wanted it and was happy with the finished product. If the motor wasn't so heavy, I'm sure we'd have checked the fit several times along the way but at 300 lbs ... it just wasn't feasible. If anybody needs me ... I'll be sulking somewhere....

hello
I am a new be here and i like this project. As i am looking to mod my 07 l1648m lowe/06 25 hp 4s. just want to know how blue board
worked out because i was going to use under floor with .080 alum. for the floor. Will this hold water? i like how you did your deck framing
i just wish i could weld. all an any help/in put i think all for.

caveman said:
hello
I am a new be here and i like this project. As i am looking to mod my 07 l1648m lowe/06 25 hp 4s. just want to know how blue board
worked out because i was going to use under floor with .080 alum. for the floor. Will this hold water? i like how you did your deck framing

:WELCOME: caveman!

Thanks for joining. :beer:

caveman said:
hello

Hey there caveman I'm pretty new here myself but welcome. There are some great guys on this site who can help you with your project. So far I haven't gotten my boat wet yet, so my project (and the blueboard) is yet unproven. The main reason I went with it was because one of the guys on here builds boat professionally and he uses it (see sparkbr) so I felt pretty good about it.

As far as the .08 aluminum ( and I'm sure you've thought about this) I think it will work fine as long as you have the foam under it ... that foam will actually support some weight, but if there is any part of the floor without the foam under it, I think .08 aluminum will give noticeably under your weight. As far as the foam's longevity, I really can't speak to that but I made an archery target out of the stuff and its been out in the elements for about a year now and seems to be holding up fine ... doesn't hold any water that I can tell. Again, I'm trusting the professional.

Again, welcome and good luck ... keep us posted - Wyodeputy

PS ... I wish I could weld too ! :D

Looking real nice.
Just a general question...do those seat pedestal bases ever wear out?
Probably not,just was thinking might be hard to replace them.

I was wondering about conduit but it would be a pain to notch them ribs to run that.

Zum said:
I was wondering about conduit but it would be a pain to notch them ribs to run that.

I was thinking the same thing. I used outdoor grade PVC conduit in mine, which may bend enough to thread behind the ribs, but I don't know if you have room for it. You might consider finding some plastic tubing or such that will fit, for fear that vibration might cause the aluminum edges to cut into the wires over the years ahead. At the very least, run a file or something over the edges to remove any sharpness.
Don't take this as an insult, I think you are doing a great job! I would just hate for you to have a short circuit spoil a trip for you down the road. :(

Henry Hefner said:
Zum said:

I was thinking the same thing. I used outdoor grade PVC conduit in mine, which may bend enough to thread behind the ribs, but I don't know if you have room for it. You might consider finding some plastic tubing or such that will fit, for fear that vibration might cause the aluminum edges to cut into the wires over the years ahead. At the very least, run a file or something over the edges to remove any sharpness.
Don't take this as an insult, I think you are doing a great job! I would just hate for you to have a short circuit spoil a trip for you down the road. :(

What about some wire loom to cover the wires? Comes in different sizes, colors, flexible, and most of it's spilt to enable ease of putting it around/over wires and such. I think Lowe's carries it in their electrical dept. My front tm cable has it over it where it's exposed on the rear deck.

https://www.wiringproducts.com/index1.html?lang=en-us&target=d90.html

Here's their Flame Retardant Loom for the Marine/Auto industry: https://www.wiringproducts.com/index1.html?lang=en-us&target=d90.html

Here's a pic of the loom mat'l covering my tm wiring before it goes to the battery:
Rod_Holder_Mounted3.JPG

Well thanks for the input. I hadn't considered insulating the wires. Ryan is actually an electrician so I'll run it by him and if he deems it necessary, I'm sure he can supply me with conduit or a "loom" material. Thanks

I am planing on doing my floor the same way But i am going to screw mine down with short self-tapper screws so i can remove easy if need be.
I just want to tell you something ,I would really put my wires in pipe .I to am a electrician so think about this ,you can always add wires/replace with a fishtape .I am useing smurf pipe 1/2" lowes/home depot sells it (it is blue thus smurf) it works great. I am also useing it for my fuel line do not know if fuel line will fit in 1/2" my have to go to 3/4" but that is fine. that way if fuel line goes bad just tape new one to old and pull. Just my thinking and how i am doing mine. I can not wate to more of your work.
GOOD LUCK IT LOOKS GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't have a pic of the front section where the wire runs, but can take one tomorrow and post it. The loom mat'l only covers the exposed part of the tm wiring, before it goes into the guwale track. The remainder of the wire runs through the full length of the track in the inboard side of the gunwale, with the track being covered by the black strip you see to the right of the corner brace. The rubber strip is easily attached/removed as it has "flanges" on the back side that insert into the track. The stbd side track didn't have any rubber in it when I got the boat, as I didn't have any wiring running down that side. After I bought my FF I ran the wire down the stbd track, ord'd some rubber stripping from the dealership and installed it myself. The dealership didn't have any rubber stripping for a Lowe rig on-hand, so he sent me some that goes to WarEagle boats. I think the track size may be standard for a few different boats, but not 100% sure.

Latest posts