Lowe 16x48 Restoration

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that looks awesome! I like that shade of beige.

Can you not mix brushing thinner with it to make it go on? I know the purpose of this stuff is to seal, but just wondering..

russ010 said:
that looks awesome! I like that shade of beige.

Can you not mix brushing thinner with it to make it go on? I know the purpose of this stuff is to seal, but just wondering..

Yeah I was wondering that too but the instructions said not to thin it down ... would've made it MUCH easier if thinning was ok.

That looks really nice. When I did mine I poured it out onto the boat and used a 4" foam roller to spread it out. It is not the funnest stuff to work with. I'll bet you have some bulletproof plastic containers now that some of the steelflex has dried in them. :D

Thanks for doing that steelflex for me. You've done so much work to the structure of the boat, I just was dying to see you do something to the outside.
That being said,

Well I for one gotta say, I don't like it. Your steelflex looks like it went on nice and smooth. I don't see any runs or brush marks like I see when I painted my boat , and that was just with regular marine paint!
So, you did to good a job #-o =P~

Really, looks fantastic, and I love that you went with a non-conventional color! Keep up the great work!

Camo Clad day:

After making a fuss about the pigment in the steelflex, we learned today it didn't matter much. We covered the exterior of the boat with the camo-clad camouflage sheets (Advantage Max-4 HD) and covered most (if not all) of the steelflex on the sides. I expected to have more areas exposed (such as the channel running down the sides) but we were able to cover this with the camo clad and there was no need. So sorry about going on and on about getting the right colors in the steelflex. Of course, we didn't cover the bottom. Anyway, it took just about 2 hours and we are happy with the end result.P3070009.JPGP3070010.JPGP3070011.JPGP3070014.JPG

Attachments

• P3070012.JPG
    P3070012.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,376
Waterwings said:
Looks good! 8)

Did you have to use a blow dryer or anything else to form it over the side splash rails, or did it form fairly easy without heat?

We used a small propane torch to lightly heat the material not just over the splash rails but on the entire boat ... in the past I have used a heat gun. We found we did need to heat the vinyl to really make it bond to the steelflex; otherwise it was pretty easy to pull off. It might be easier to apply in warmer weather but in my garage with only a small heater, it needed a little more help. thanks 4 lookin'

HELLO
Boat looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know all things take time as i am working on mine. But i really want to see what you are doing to the inside.
as this is what i am doing. and i can tell you cutting that alum. with as skill saw /jig saw is a job but you have a plasm cutter.looks great lets see in water.can't wait as i am sure you can't wait.

hello   wyodeputy I just have 2 ? for you. 1) on what centers did you place the rivets on the floor, not sure about centers but i was thanking 4 across but maybe 6? how many screws/rivets per rib?  2) How did foam hold up with being on it out of the water?         thanks for your reply

caveman said:
hello   wyodeputy I just have 2 ? for you. 1) on what centers did you place the rivets on the floor, not sure about centers but i was thanking 4 across but maybe 6? how many screws/rivets per rib?  2) How did foam hold up with being on it out of the water?         thanks for your reply

I didn't really have any reason for using what I did ... just looked like 4 would do the job. So 4 on each rib ... The foam held my weight fine, as far as I can tell. But remember I used .125 aluminum on my floor. I'm sure yours will be fine. Thanks

CHANGING GEARS ... TRAILER FABRICATION

Some of you may recall my earlier thoughts on salvaging the old trailer and restoring it as well. After some consideration (and a sale on channel iron at my local steel supply) I opted to start from scratch and man its been a production ... This project (the boat included) would have been impossible without the help of a good friend. Ryan's welding and general building knowledge has been priceless. Most of the following pictures show Ryan in action on the trailer.P3050005.JPGP3050006.JPGP3050008.JPGP3090009.JPGP3100010.JPG

This is too crazy! You are the man! First you recreate and revive a great boat, now you just make a trailer! Very Very nice. Thanks for allowing us to look

I'd say you owe Ryan a barrell of his favorite adult beverage.

He has some great skills.

Your project is coming along great!!!!!

Excellent job.

Latest posts