Lowes 12ft V-Hull Modification (Gangplank)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txboomer

Reaction score
Has anyone ever considered or attempted to make a gangplank for a 12ft V-hull? I need to design a way to enter or exit the boat from a dock that is approximately 6 inches or higher than my gunwales. My wife is a real trooper that loves to fish but unfortunately has a bad leg and can not get around as well as she used to so Im trying to design or copy a previous plan on a attaching a gangplank to the front bench seat. I already hear the comments, "why not just buy a boat that is more user friendly?"; just trying this option first before spending big buck on a new ride. I removed the center bench and replaced it with a pin seat so that she doesn't have to crawl over the benches and leveled the floor. I'm just curious if it has ever been done? My original thought was to just beach it but upon closer review of our lake (Canyon Lake Tx) and the closest launches, it has has very rocky shorelines with very little public access. Thanks.

If she's unsteady on her feet I'd be really hesitant to have her trying to traverse a gangplank even if it was possible - though on such a small boat I think the angle would be too extreme. A set of steps might work if they're contoured to the side of the boat so she steps off into the center of the boat. The plank section would have to hang out over the dock something like this:

yxjdtqnl.jpg

You could make 2 parallel copies of the red framed sections out of 1" metal electrical conduit with wood stringers between them. Unlike a gang-plank to one of the seats she'd be able to step off onto the sturdiest point on the boat. This would let you disassemble the rig so you could throw it in the boat when you transport it.

If you lived anywhere near CT I'd bend and weld them for you. I think if you tried to do this out of wood it would weigh too much to easily lift back up onto the dock.

Do you own the dock? If so is it heavy enough you could mount a boom & winch to it? If so you could mount a swing to the winch & have her sit down on the dock, pivot her out & lower her down.

I'll try to get a pic of the setup we have for launching our docks from atop a 3' concrete retaining wall - it has since been removed as we're selling the house so the pic will be of it on the lawn.

Latest posts