Lowrance Sonar/Fish Finder setup questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

super_dork

Reaction score
I bought a 1993 Stratos 280 SF and it has a Lowrance Bluewater Pro 1220 installed and a thru the hull transducer. I also have wiring at the front that seems to have allowed the use of a second unit at the front using the same transducer in the back but I don't have the display unit. I also have a Humminbird 180 on the dash with the transducer on mounted on the transom. I'm trying to figure out how to re-use what I'm already got to get set up for fishing. I'm wondering

1) Can I get a new Lowrance unit to mount in the front that uses the rear transducer?
2) Should I just move the dash Humminbird to the bow and hook the transducer to the TM?
3) What Lowrance unit can I use to attach to the bow connections?

Attachments

• IMG_1010.JPG
    IMG_1010.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 962
  • IMG_1022.JPG
    IMG_1022.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 962
  • IMG_1024.JPG
    IMG_1024.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 962
  • IMG_1088.JPG
    IMG_1088.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 962
You should be able to mount a 2nd unit and hook it up to the current transducer, you need to find the model # of the xducer and then find units compatible with the xducer. If you can't find a compatible unit for the front then you could move the HB up to the front, but then what will you use when at the console??

Might call Lowrance and see if they can point you in the right direction. GL

Make sure the frequency of the transducer matches the frequency required by the new unit.

So for ease of use, I think I'm gonna replace the Lowrance with a digital in dash sounder and use a thru hull transducer and move the hummingbird to the TM and use it for fishing. I can't see needing much more at the dash other than depth for the type of fishing that I do. When I'm ready to drop $500+ on better imaging, I may upgrade, but for now, for about $100 it looks like I can get something basic to show depth while underway.

I found this Hawkeye one for like $85

Norcross Hawkeye D10D Depth Sounder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JEOEE0

Thoughts?

Well I looked a bit more. The opening is 3 3/8" and the Hawkeye is only 2". So while it may work in another hole in the dash, I may see if I can find something that fits better.