Lund Laker 14 Honda BF30 - CMC PT-35 Install

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As per the PM, I don't have any photos of the contactor setup. However it is simple. I typically will use the CMC factory wires but not the wiring. Just cut the appropriate amount out of the CMC wiring and use the wires only. Cleans up things tremendously. Do NOT cut the plug off of the actuator.

The contactor has 4 terminals with nuts. Normally they're painted or marked. Red, black, green or yellow, and blue. Red=batt + (use a 50A fuse or breaker). Blk=batt -. Green (or yellow) goes to the actuator. Blue goes to the actuator. Those 2 don't really matter which one goes to which wire on the actuator as the motor is bidirectional.

Then there are a pair of 18 or 20ga wires, most contactors have bullet connectors on those. Those 2 go to the toggle or rocker switch. Again, it doesn't matter which way because it changes polarity as the toggle or rocker is moved. Worst case scenario if it's hooked up one way the "up" on the switch will make the CMC go down and vise versa. Just reverse them if that's the case.

As far as mounting the contactor, on some boats, there is a dry area that works well. Others are continually "wet" and I'll put the contactor inside a waterproof utility box that I'll pick up at Radio Shack, or something similar.

Advantage of the contactor-it doesn't fail NEARLY as often as the CMC relays. I think I've seen one fail in the last 8 to 10 years (and it was on an ATV that spent several days submerged in a creek). CMC changed the relay pack in the recent past to a more weatherproof socket but they still die more frequently than they should. Last one I remember (customer-he didn't care about the relays) lasted 3 months. CMC sent him a new harness assembly and that one lasted ALMOST 3 months. He called me and I suggested the contactor. So far so good with it. Also the contactor allows more voltage and amperage to pass through, meaning the CMC will run a little faster. Another advantage is that the wiring-if done properly-is a LOT safer than the CMC stuff is since there is less total wiring (if you call CMC's wiring anything but a bird's nest) and straighter runs and no exposed relay contacts to short out. Also the instal with the contactor is a LOT cleaner.

I'm thinking of buying a used Pt-35 and like mentioned installation threads are hard to come by.
Thanks for helping me a bit....my boat has a jet tunnel hull but I use a propped motor.

No problem Zum, If you have any questions or need any measurements drop me a line.
The PT35 seems like a great addition so far. I still haven't got to upgrading the relays to a contactor yet though. It's still on the list.
Grant

Latest posts