Lund set up help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishingfever

Reaction score
I just got done fighting cancer and it's time to fish again. I found a used 1998 Lund 1600 Pro Sport Adventure series with a 60 hp Yamaha. I do not think it's set up right. It came with a 19 pitch prop. I took it to the lake and was only able to manage 3000 rpm and unable to get on plane.
I went to a 15 pitch got about 3600 so dropped down to a 14X13 and am up around 4600 and 22 mph.
I feel the boat is capable of better, am I expecting to much? I drained all the gas out when I bought it and replaced it with fresh and have always run conditioner in it. I found a leak in the fuel supply line and fixed it. Checked the fuel filter and it was clean. I put in brand new plugs. Old ones did not look bad, but just trying to cover all the bases. Motor is set to lowest position with cavitation plate even to bottom of hull?? Should I try raising it a notch?
I am hoping to drag it to MN and LOW or Rainey lake this summer but want it to be running right. Any suggestions or thoughts will be appreciated.

your not expecting to much and 30mph should be realistic with that motor and boat. The 19 pitch is likely way to much pitch but a 13 sounds way to little. So you must have other issues if your motor cant turn a 13 at 5k plus RPM. Take some pics of the motor height on your transom and post it. Raising it will increase top speed but if you raise it to far you get blowout or cavitation. Here is an idea how it should look DSCN6421.JPG

Previous owner also has a whale tail on it so he must have been experiencing some issues as well. I will probably remove it once I get the rpm issue solved. Here is photo from rearIMGP0635.JPG

fishingfever said:
Previous owner also has a whale tail on it so he must have been experiencing some issues as well. I will probably remove it once I get the rpm issue solved. Here is photo from rear
I have a 1997 Lund 1650 Angler SS and it has a 60 HP Mercury on it. On calm flat water I can get 35 to 38 MPH out of it. I think my boat may be heaver than yours, so I don't think 30 mph is to much to ask.

Thanks sawmill that was what I was thinking I would get. I know the set up is not quite right so working on that first. I also just obtained a compression tester so if the weather will cooperate tomorrow I will get some more answers. If that looks good it's probably carb issues and set up. It runs smooth with no cough or pops.

I am suspecting you have motor issues cause the motor looks good for height and angle. And yeah that whale tale is not needed if your motor is running correctly

I'd be interested in what the compression is and go from there and I hope what happen to me didn't happen to you . [-o<

I just pulled the plugs. 1 and 3 are tan and dry. #2 is tan but was shiny smelled like gas, so calls for further investigation. Any thoughts

fishingfever said:
I just pulled the plugs. 1 and 3 are tan and dry. #2 is tan but was shiny smelled like gas, so calls for further investigation. Any thoughts
Take one of the plugs that are tan and dry and put in #2. Run it and then check the plug to see if it comes out shiny. If it does your problem is not the plugs. It could be you may have a bad plug.

Charger25 said:
I'd be interested in what the compression is and go from there and I hope what happen to me didn't happen to you . [-o<

Agree with Charger, do a compression test asap. Could save you a whole lot of head scratching

Okay swapped plugs around while warming up motor for compression test. They all came out shiny so will have to wait till I can open it up a bit and try it again.
Compression test is done #1-97, #2-96, #3-97 seems low but they are all close could be the motor wasn't quite warm enough or the gauge isn't accurate.

Don't know what 60 Yamaha you have (2S, 4S) but this might help (assuming your tach is fine):
Engine RPM Range Gear Ratio
60 2-Stroke 4500-5500 2.33
60 High Thrust 5000-6000 2.33
60 4-Stroke 5000-6000 1.85

You have a motor problem with the rpm's and pitches you posted. That should be turning a 15" pitch at 5200. Sounds like the motor is just wore out.

If you bought it with the 19 pitch,it probably could turn it at one time.
It does seem alittle big but a 13 seems pretty small and your still not at the right rpm.
Somethings not right in the motor or like mentioned possible added weight but would have to be a ton if the 13 wouldn't work.
Are you sure it's opening up all the way...throttle linkage
Did you mention a carb cleaning?
Those compression readings do seem alittle low but within 10% of each other...I never know when to listen to those testers...

Not sure about the foam boat was stored with the bow pretty high and the plug out so any water that got through the cover would have gone out. Wouldn't hurt to check and I need to tighten a seat base anyway. I drained all the gas and replaced with fresh when I bought the boat but if previous owner didn't use it for a long time it maybe possible that there could have been some bad stuff sitting in the carbs. They will be the next project.

Latest posts