Making Baits!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poured a mess of tubes, 4" stick baits and a few flukes and took them out for field testing today - THEY WORKED GREAT!

Caught about 30 SM Bass in the Delaware river - Black tubes, dark green stick baits and the fluke are smoke with black flake (looks like a shad fry which are all over the river right now)

I am not real happy with my worm mold as the stick baits are a one sided mold with leaves a flat ridge on the bait - but they worked great

The tubes are awesome - I made them soft and heavy for fishing the strong currents and they did that great!

I will be sending some samples out to those who asked and one who did not (ah that means you Mr. T.!!!)

esquired said:
Poured a mess of tubes, 4" stick baits and a few flukes and took them out for field testing today - THEY WORKED GREAT!

Caught about 30 SM Bass in the Delaware river - Black tubes, dark green stick baits and the fluke are smoke with black flake (looks like a shad fry which are all over the river right now)

I am not real happy with my worm mold as the stick baits are a one sided mold with leaves a flat ridge on the bait - but they worked great

The tubes are awesome - I made them soft and heavy for fishing the strong currents and they did that great!

I will be sending some samples out to those who asked and one who did not (ah that means you Mr. T.!!!)

Thank you sir!
I cant wait to try them. :D

If you don't mind, I wouldn't be against havin' a couple. After success with the boss man's worms, I would like to see what ya got.

Sure - PM me when you are ready

and I know - I have to pour a few more and then will send them out to those people who asked (and a few extra for SMDave becuase he used them up :lol: )

Thanks esquired! I'm convinced they do work. I had been fishing the zoom tube for about 30-45 minutes with no takers. Then I tie on one of esquired's smoke tubes and cast it in the same spot. 10 minutes into jigging it, I feel two large taps, and set the hook, watching as my first smallie comes into grabbing range. 8) I noticed the flat bottom on the senko as well, but don't worry, I'm sure it doesn't do anything bad. I also have heard that flat bottoms on baits cause them to dart (or glide?) more so I will have to test these out soon.

SMDave - for teh De River smallies fish the Senkos with a sliding bullet weight T-rigged. Use enough weight to hold bottom allowing the bait to "tick" across the rocks. Always cast across or downstream (never, ever up stream, it will slide under the rocks and snag) I have been killing the fish with the 4" sticks!

Alright I'll be sure to try out your senko this saturday! Get ready smallmouths!!! :twisted:

If you snag while the bait is across or downstream just let line out (a lot of line) the current will reverse the angle and pull the bait free 90% of the time.

This really applies to the Delaware which has a wicked strong current flow compared with any other river I have waded

Yeah I got snagged about 10 times when I was fishing, maybe more, but only lost one rig (your tube and my last jighead). I just pulled, then released the line suddenly so it would act like a rubberband and it came out quite easily.

Had a fun afternoon, took the bottom 1/2 of a gallon of plastic, and a buddy and I poured for an hour straight. He kept the molds emptied, I filled them back up, and kept the microwave running. Not sure how many baits we made, but the molds got so hot we had to stop, it became uncomfortable to open them, or even rest my hand on the lip while pouring. All of them were Watermelonseed, so the mixing was nice and easy, and they were all P-Stick baits. Gonna do a mP worm run and a Thing run soon :)

Also painted some baits, probably the hardest color pattern I ever had to paint! Just kidding, they were all black, with red eyes :)

Latest posts