Making your own crank baits

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNBassman86

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am interested in making some of my own crank baits. Not just painting premade bodies but rather making the whole thing. I have done some research online to find that most are just pre-glued bodies. Does anyone know a good resource or place to start my research on how to make my own type of body?

I would like to try plastic. But would also work with wood. I just want to mess with design, weight and color and need to know a good place to start on how to understand the concepts behind lure design.

MNBassman86 said:
I would like to try plastic. But would also work with wood. I just want to mess with design, weight and color and need to know a good place to start on how to understand the concepts behind lure design.

Not sure that you will able to make a plastic body other then solid plastic (which you woudl treat just like wood). The hollow bodies most often used are made with a vacuum molding machine which is expensive unless you plan on doing production and selling them. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injection_molding

i suggest you start with carving wood bodies or using a lathe. lots of places to get the hardware

Thanks guys.

I am looking more long term of production and selling on a local level. First I need to make sure it works. I will keep doing my research and start from the bottom. Thanks again

Latest posts