Manual for Tracker Pro 17 - 1989 or about that time period

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoaterGirl

Reaction score
Hi all. Anyone have a copy of the manual for the 89 Tracker Pro 17 or another year in that time period? We just bought one, and I am trying to figure everything out that needs to be fixed, replaced, etc. Thanks all.

Not for sure that they came with a manual back then but would probably be hard to find one. I actually have a 1989 Pro 17 myself that I have torn completely apart and am re-furbing. Don't know how much help I can be but you're more than welcome to ask questions and I'll try to give some answers.

Previous owner mentioned a short in the lights. Not sure what that means as no lights were included. There is a hole with two prongs in the bow and an empty hole in the stern area on the starboard side. Looks like whatever was there, is no more. Just a hole where you can see down into the foam interior. Is that for the rear light? I can send pictures, if it would help. How hard would it be to get this straightened out with out taking the decking apart. This is our first boat and it is for our teenager fisherman for Potomac River. We could just buy some battery powered lights, but wanted to explore options before putting down money. Thanks!

Depends on what lights he was talking about. Was it the lights on the trailer? The navigational lights on the boat or possibly interior lights in the boat? The 2 open plugs you're talking about in the bow and stern area are where the navigational lights go. They should have been with the boat. The one for the bow would be approx. 9"-18" long and have a red/green lens. The one that plugs into the stern would be at least 48" long and should have a white or clear lens. Both of these lights are made to be removable and stored away when fishing during daylight hours. The switch that operates these lights is most generally marked "Nav/Lts" or may read Navigational Lights. Do you have anyone who lives close to you that can give you some basic knowledge about bass boats? Why would the seller/previous owner not explain more to you? There are quite a few more things I'm sure that need to be checked out on the boat especially safety equipment wise. It may be in your best interest to have a boat mechanic check this rig out especially since it's your teenage son who is going to use this. Not to mention have him take some boating courses so he will know the rules of the water ways for his own safety as well as others.

PS: Sorry I got off topic but when someone says "There's a short in the lights it means that either there is corrosion some where causing a fuse to blow therefore causing an interruption of the flow of electricity or a wire may be bare and touching something to cause a short circuit in the wiring as well.

The short comment was in response to my question about whether the boat had navigational lights. There was a battery operated light on board (white), but that is all I saw and we replaced the battery and it did not work. There could be some more lights under the main deck, but he has not done a thorough search with a flash light to see what is back there.

What are the interior lights - lights for the livewell? I do plan to take it to a mechanic, just haven't had the time and really trying to figure out what is wrong with the rig before taking it somewhere blind.

I have some questions about some of the buttons on the dash. One of them is metal on the lower right of the dash. I saw no indicator labeling the button, so can only wonder. Also, I don't believe the radio works, so think we will have to replace that if he wants a working radio.

My son did take a boater safety course, as it is required at his age. He carries proof on board. Not off track at all. I can use all the advice and prayers I can get. :wink:

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP! You and this board will be a tremendous resource for us.

Hi BoaterGirl,

I have the same boat. I don't have a manual, but I did get wiring diagrams from Tracker for my boat.

Main wiring diagram:
View attachment WIRING DIAGRAM.pdf

Console Wiring:
View attachment CONSOLE WIRING DIAGRAM.pdf

Power Tilt / Trim Wiring
Trim Wiring.jpg

The hole in the back behind the driver is for a white anchor light. It should be on a long pole (about 4' long) and mounted on the left side of the boat.
120122-IMG_1111.jpg

The rear socket should be wired to a switch on the console. The switch is a DPDT with one position being for navigation (front and rear lights illuminated) and one for anchor (only rear light illuminated). If the rear wiring isn't there, or is shorted, you would need to run a new wire underneath the controls through the wiring chase tube. Not impossible, but you will need to disassemble the small panel with the warning alarm just rearward of the throttle control.

The interior lights on this boat are next to useless. There is only one light, it's the little white half-circle shape on the lower left side of the console.
120122-IMG_1108.jpg

There's also a small light on the front panel where the trolling motor plugs in that operates off of a push switch.

Not sure what your metal switch on the right side of the console is. I'm guessing it wasn't original to the boat. And the likelihood of the radio working is pretty low. Especially if you've already got wiring problems. I actually removed mine and used the space for an accessory socket and a Trim gauge.

I did a complete tear down of my boat and the link is in my signature below. Let me know if you have any questions, I'd be glad to help out.

Good luck!

Hey boatergirl I have what you need for the stern light. I have the receptacle and the light pole as well. It does work and is original equipment for the boat but I am not going to use it. If you would be willing to pay the shipping I will check and see how much it is and you can have it for that amount. Let me know what your zip code is and I'll check to see how much shipping is. As far as the metal button on the dash if it just pushes in and out without staying in an on position then it may be a horn button. Most states require you to have a horn signaling device of some type on your boat. I think most people that had these Trackers used handheld type air horns but some guys rigged 12 volt electric horns with a simple push on/ release off button. Look under the console and see where the wiring on the button goes to and you may just find the horn under the dash as well.

Latest posts