Marine Oil?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I can add is I managed a battery warehouse that sold 100s of batteries per day back in the early 80s. I saw the name on the trucks change from GU to JC. Same drivers, same plants, same batteries. Up until fairly recently nothing had changed since those days.

Now the company producing these batteries, in identical cases, with identical specs is Clarion.

I have almost never seen a GU/JC battery that I couldn't revive with a little bit of work. They are pretty much indestructible and if you want to go through the trouble of flushing them out most of the time you can restore them to original cranking specs.

I have several Clarion products in our vehicles currently and they seem every bit as good as ever. I used to buy them at Advance Auto, but now they want $200+ for a Die Hard. So I get the same battery at Walmart for around $130. Quite a savings.

Exides unless they've changed them have always been mediocre offerings. Same with General battery. Back in the old days almost all batteries, no matter what the label, were a product of those 3. Exceptions being Delco and Deka.

Around here the tell tale sign of an East Penn made battery is their style of sealed top, side venting cover.
With older Interstate its always been the style of cap they used and refillable cells.
The Clarios made AC Delco I just bought has neither and says made in Canada. on the label but has a stamp in the case that says Mexico down near the clamp area. Whether that means the label was made in Canada and the battery in Mexico, or just the case was made in Mexico, I have no clue. It was the cheapest battery I could find in stock without having to spend $247 for a Deka at their local dealer. The plastic is more texured than the prior JC made batteries and there are no top caps. Its sealed completely. The AC Delco was over $100 less. The Delso still comes with a prorated warranty but I couldn't see the two more years of warranty being worth nearly double the cost. The Clarious battery was lower CCA but it was still higher than the car came with new.
It appears that the only group 65 that Clarious offers in a regular lead acid battery is a 750CCA, which is fine for most gas powered cars but not for diesel trucks that spec out 850 or 1000 CCA. for which Clarious, like Interstate before didn't have.
Under Interstate, in group 65, they show a 750 cca which is a flooded lead acid battery and an 800 CCA, which is an AGM battery which do not work well with conventional charging systems.

I see that with several brands, they're offerings of flooded lead acid batteries is limited with ot of substitutions and their higher rated batteries, with shorter warranties are AGM types. When the time comes to replace the batteries in my old truck, my options will likely only be to buy Deka, as they appear to be the onkly 850 CCA or higher group 65 battery sold here now.
Walmart lists one but they're not available. I ordered two back in Dec to be shipped tot he store and I'm still waiting. The web page showed them at thw old price when I ordered, they've since gone up $110 each since Dec. 2023. The local Walmarts aren't stocking many batteries if any, their excuse is that they were loosing too many to theft so they no longer stock the more expensive models to lessen their losses.
They also drsopped most of the auto parts line, gone are the AC Delco and Motorcraft filters, and most brand of oil are gone too, rarely do i see enough of any one brand of oil lately to do a full oil change and it takes months for them to restock, and when they do they only put on back in stock. They've become a complete joke lately and most people no longer go there. They keep expanding the cell phone and game section and taking more and more of the sporting goods and auto section. It really looks like a store that's going under lately. It reminds me of the waning days of Kmart. 15 years ago.

That's interesting. I'm not exactly a Walmart guy. I live in the sticks and it's a bit of a drive. Last year though when I was shopping for boat and fishing stuff Wallyworld had everything and the automotive dept was jam packed too. Seemed like they normally stock every battery there is. I wonder if what you describe is one certain store? We have a "good" Walmart which is near an area with a lot of nice subdivisions. The "bad" Walmart is a stone throw from Gary, IN. I prob don't need to tell you the kind of people it attracts. Sad faces, glossy eyes. Zombie shoppers. Shuffling along. The main thing I don't like about either place though is you are going to stand in line a loooooong time to check out. The cashiers all look like they're on something too and scan at the rate of 2 items a minute.

That's interesting. I'm not exactly a Walmart guy. I live in the sticks and it's a bit of a drive. Last year though when I was shopping for boat and fishing stuff Wallyworld had everything and the automotive dept was jam packed too. Seemed like they normally stock every battery there is. I wonder if what you describe is one certain store? We have a "good" Walmart which is near an area with a lot of nice subdivisions. The "bad" Walmart is a stone throw from Gary, IN. I prob don't need to tell you the kind of people it attracts. Sad faces, glossy eyes. Zombie shoppers. Shuffling along. The main thing I don't like about either place though is you are going to stand in line a loooooong time to check out. The cashiers all look like they're on something too and scan at the rate of 2 items a minute.
I hear ya there, I go at times when things are slow but only for non food things. The stores with auto repair centers are very slow, we have both and I go to the one without the auto repair center, far fewer people because you have to answer your own questions ! Best part of Walley World is the no question return policy. I can take anything back for a refund, especially a battery that doesn,t hold a charge.

The one time I had to return a battery to Walmart they gave me a real hard time. You have to wait in the returns line and then a disinterested woman with a handheld device pushes a button. If the green light comes on, no exchange for you! I did get an exchange though, but only after getting a "mechanic" to come out of the service center and schooling him on testing a battery. Told him I got a quality tester out in my truck. You want to wait while I go get it? He said no, give him an exchange. Took me a good half hour. That's the only disadvantage to buying a battery there.

Back to marine oil: Depends if the motor has a pump and water cooled or vintage air cooled.
TCW3 rated marine oi water cooled, 2 stroke air cooled oil like 2 stroke motorcycle or chainsaw oil when air cooled.
The reason for the diffent oils is in the water cooled vs air cooled head/combustion chamber/piston temps.

The one time I had to return a battery to Walmart they gave me a real hard time. You have to wait in the returns line and then a disinterested woman with a handheld device pushes a button. If the green light comes on, no exchange for you! I did get an exchange though, but only after getting a "mechanic" to come out of the service center and schooling him on testing a battery. Told him I got a quality tester out in my truck. You want to wait while I go get it? He said no, give him an exchange. Took me a good half hour. That's the only disadvantage to buying a battery there.
Must depend on the people working, as long as I had my receipt, never once have my area stores questioned anything I brought back. Got a couple bad batteries when I had my motorhome, first when bad in less than 6 minths and second in less than a year. Full refund and bought another one, no questions ask. Easy refund/returns are the only reason I use them..

We bought a 4x6 outdoor rug from Walmart online to use with our travel trailer. It never came. Finally Walmart says we can just cancel, which we did. In the meantime we got a larger outdoor run from our neighbor who got rid of her RV.

Then, you guessed it, the rug shows up at our porch. I take it, still I the unopened box, to our local Walmart customer service counter. I explain we already have a refund and just want to give them their rug back. Lady says they can't take it. I ask what would happen if I lay it on the counter and walk away. A manager is called over and says I can't do that either. My son got a free 4x6 camping rug. At least I tried to do the right thing.

Latest posts