Mariner 40 EL no tilt- can I use a wood block when approaching the beach?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAABologist

Reaction score
My old Mariner (Yamaha) 40 hp does not have electric tilt. It only locks in the up position. Would there be any problem for the motor if I rigged up a block to hold the motor up when approaching the boat ramp or the beach?

I thought I better ask before potentially damaging something!

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Not at all, as long as not bearing on something that'll break. Be aware, some motors come equipped with an interim trim/tilt position called "shallow water drive" that tilts it up enough to keep water flowing into the lower unit for cooling, and keep the prop in the water, but hopefully to get it behind the stern of the boat. Play around with it, on the trailer and on the dock, and custom make a piece that slides into place and does what you want. Attach a small length of rope so if it falls out, you don't lose it and it won't whack the prop or get fouled.

Heck, even when I trailer my big V6, I just place a length of good old pine 2x4 in between the trim rams and trim bracket and set the OB down on that. Gives me more road clearance the OB being down, takes the stress off the hydraulics 'holding' it at any set position and the soft wood may absorb some of the shock.

I keep telling people, trailering 60MPH on hard asphalt or concrete is incredibly more stress than being in soft[er] water, at lower speeds and hitting a wave ...
I also personally believe that poor trailering practice (and trailer setup) damages more tin boats than water EVAH will!

Thanks, I will make a block. I have some places to fasten it while in use so it doesn't fall off or get tangled. I use a transom saver for trailering. It takes a few minutes to attach it but gives great peace of mind.

Not to hijack the thread, but some pics of what you guys are doing would be helpful.