Marlin and Sharks - Oh My

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Ahab

Reaction score
Trolled a bit on the way out to set up for an overnight at the canyons - managed on Marlin about 6.5 feet that went crazy when i set the hook!

enqe7ire.jpg

be6e4gp5.jpg

Spent the evening looking for swordfish but that never happened. Towards morning we spotted a few mahi mahi in the chum slick and began casting for them with light spinning tackle. Vince hooks up with what we thought was a bull mahi - it was not as the reel began to dump line until the drag smoked (we had to continually pour fresh water on the reel)

Will the Ugly stick break?

ga63pwwe.jpg

He fought the fish for over an hour before we leadered a very nice Hammerhead Shark that was 6' and over 150 lbs. We released the shark to fight again

zhdg5q23.jpg

Sunset turned the sea gold

70hdetic.jpg

We finished off the trip with a few dozen Mahi Mahi to eat and headed to the barn with the flags flying

flags-1.jpg

Looked like a blast.
6' hammer head on light tackle,wtg.
Have a steel leader on?

Zum said:
Looked like a blast.
6' hammer head on light tackle,wtg.
Have a steel leader on?

No steel leader - 20 lb braid and a 30 lb leader - hooked it in the corner of the mouth

To tell you the truth I do not think the shark ever realized it was hooked - it was in control for about 50 minutes and probably only came to teh boat to bite us!

So tell me Mr Ahab, how does the cameraman/marlin fighter get completely excluded from the post.....oh i know, you are a dildo :LOL2:

Great report, and awesome pic of the golden sea.

jkbirocz said:
So tell me Mr Ahab, how does the cameraman/marlin fighter get completely excluded from the post.....oh i know, you are a D*l*do :LOL2:

Jake was the Angler on the Marlin - he whined like a little girl that the fish was too strong, he was scared, etc. etc.

Once the fish was boat side he then refused to 'lipp" it - some people. . . . .

he did managed to take the marlin swim in 850 feet of water once we landed his fish.

4x9rii80.jpg

4mlkaquk.jpg

Captain Ahab said:
jkbirocz said:
So tell me Mr Ahab, how does the cameraman/marlin fighter get completely excluded from the post.....oh i know, you are a D*l*do :LOL2:

Jake was the Angler on the Marlin - he whined like a little girl that the fish was too strong, he was scared, etc. etc.

Once the fish was boat side he then refused to 'lipp" it - some people. . . . .

he did managed to take the marlin swim in 850 feet of water once we landed his fish.

4x9rii80.jpg

4mlkaquk.jpg
Why's he holding that rope ??? Was he afraid he'd wash away, or were you actually using him for shark bait and not telling him ?? :LOL2:

Having never seen the ocean with my own eyes, I am always amazed at just how blue the water can be. Absolutely beautiful: I am jealous! Also, catching a freaking hammerhead on light tackle? How cool is that?!?

DocWatson said:
Why's he holding that rope ??? Was he afraid he'd wash away, or were you actually using him for shark bait and not telling him ?? :LOL2:

The gulf stream current is very fast a strong - just like a river that runs through the ocean. So yeah, i am always afraid that someone could wash away - better safe then having to cut a trip short to recover a washed away jake.

See, it was really protection of fishing time and not any concern for his well being :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Captain Ahab said:
DocWatson said:

The gulf stream current is very fast a strong - just like a river that runs through the ocean. So yeah, i am always afraid that someone could wash away - better safe then having to cut a trip short to recover a washed away jake.

See, it was really protection of fishing time and not any concern for his well being :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
You'd go after him ???

i just reeled in a marlin....and boy are my arms tired...

I really didnt wanna get cut up by a prop from a frantic captain when i couldnt swim back to the boat against the current, oh and I am just a big pussy.

I think they really did it just in case something tried to eat me, they could hold me there with the rope so they could then cast baits at it that would make the most sense :|

jkbirocz said:
i just reeled in a marlin....and boy are my arms tired...

I really didnt wanna get cut up by a prop from a frantic captain when i couldnt swim back to the boat against the current, oh and I am just a big pussy.

I think they really did it just in case something tried to eat me, they could hold me there with the rope so they could then cast baits at it that would make the most sense :|
Just pullin' your chain Jake. I knew it was Dave and his sense of marine safety. I just wanted to know his reasoning. I didn't know the Gulf Stream ran that hard. Never been out that far.