Meet 'Flipper', the soon to be sold 1232 tin

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranchero50

Reaction score
So, my son was given this little gem as payment for helping to set out some non paying tenants last month. Took a couple weeks for the title to be forthcoming but now that it's here I figured I'd start a little build thread before 'flipping' this little guy to some lucky boater.

Flipper apears to be a early '70's flat bottom jon boat that miraculously doesn't leak a drop. It does have some cracks in the transom that needs some love and as seen in the pics it has several layers of peeling paint that needs dealt with before it gets some color repainted. It came with a pair of nice clamp on blue seats and stunk terribly like cat pee. The trailer is for a larger boat, had two flat dry rotten tires and has a title coming (once it's found). Tossed the boat next to the trailer on the bed of my truck and brought them home. Both were surprisingly light. Once home my neighbor down the alley donated some left over rims and tires from when he upgraded his rolling stock on his boat trailer.

DSC02514_zpsjqieiqth.jpg

DSC02515_zpslmh9bjsm.jpg

The goal for this little guy is cleaning (done), stripping (in process), paint (future) and fit it out with all the stuff I have left from the other boat projects. I'm going to install my 35 lb bow trolling motor and maybe find a decent gas motor for the back.

I have $1.59 in bleach invested in it so far and the fuel to go get it.

LOL! Your post is hysterical! Nice little "flipper".

Couldn't help but notice the bike in the background. I know, getting off subject, but had to mention. Dyna Wide Glide?

If you were a little closer, I'd take that little boat off your hands, as is. :D

Keep the pics coming on your build, and thanks for sharing!

TexasLoneStar56 said:
LOL! Your post is hysterical! Nice little "flipper".

Couldn't help but notice the bike in the background. I know, getting off subject, but had to mention. Dyna Wide Glide?

'05 Sporty 1200 Custom that I've been tinkering with for the last couple months. I have around $4k in it with gear.

https://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=1821880

Back on topic I've decided to use parts from my jet boats original nose to build the troller mount.

But first I'm off to help my dad get the 350 running for his CC 280. Built the aluminum hard top last winter and drug it to the bay with my '71 F350 Cummins truck that I've been building for the last seven years. He decided to megasquirt it with TBI and Vortec heads. Oh yeah, it's reverse rotation too.

DSC02192_zps75594cb5.jpg

Not much to report as no one likes to see paint stripping in process. I volunteered the kid to do the boat with aircraft stripper while I did the trailer with a wire wheel grinder.

Slow process.

Seems the aqua green is the base color on the hull so early 60's maybe? I get to stamp the MD VIN in it once it's cleaned up.

Your quote of "the kid" reminds of that old move "Karate Kid"....."wax on - wax off"!

Yes sir, slow process. I can testify to that. That aqua color was used in the '50's as well. I've been sanding that old aqua color off our '56. Pretty in it's day, but not so much as it weathered. :?

Keep us posted on the progress! Pics of paint stripping is cool. Gives us a viewable update. :)

Have a good one and keep up the good work!

M

Trailer looks tiny next to the IH 806 I'm working on. Dented can Rustoleum gloss black makes it look nice after stripping all the ugly off with a wire wheel.

DSC02516_zps0viabnmf.jpg

Good old aircraft stripper tearing up the old paint. Kid used a stainless scrubby thing and a bucket of water to remove the loose paint.
DSC02517_zpsoxpj1gsz.jpg

DSC02518_zpsf3tue68b.jpg

The Kid did good! Trailer does look tiny by that tractor. :LOL2: Color on it looks good.

Tell The Kid to get a metal putty knife to scrape off the stripper in between the crevices. Plastic one is "ok" but metal is stronger. Careful not to scratch or gouge the boat. I put all that gunk in an old planter bucket and threw away. (yuk)

I have no idea what it is. I have a MD title that says year and make ugknown. I'll take some better pics once it's cleaned up completely. He needs to hurry up so we can move on to the repairs and fitting toys. I did here that there is another trolling motor coming for it.

Last night we did get the light wiring replaced along with new tail lights. Fitted the hull back on the trailer and locked down the winch mount so all is good there other than some paint touch up. BTW, the kid realized you can't clean oil based paint with water. So now my rain water barrel has a black rim. My bottles of hand cleaner, alcohol and dish soap do too (yes, it was ugly).

The kid kept melting through the green gloves so I have a pair of heavy chemical ones I'm taking home to finish the stripping with. The stainless pot scrubber worked really well without leaving any marks in the metal finish. I did find a crack along the front edge that needs welded.

The hood of the tractor is taller than the roof on my F-350 and the trailer looks tiny hanging off the back of the F-350 while testing the lights.

Latest posts