merc 25hp transom saver

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fyr4efect said:
Picked it up this am. I love it! Spoke with the cabelas people and they agreed with the mini jacker which I will mount. Ordered a merc 25 ELHPT and a black max 9.25x 11.25 prop. Done.
I'll post pix when I get the motor on the jacker. Thx for your info.

You are going to love the Power trim/tilt.

LDUBS said:
fyr4efect said:
Picked it up this am. I love it! Spoke with the cabelas people and they agreed with the mini jacker which I will mount. Ordered a merc 25 ELHPT and a black max 9.25x 11.25 prop. Done.
I'll post pix when I get the motor on the jacker. Thx for your info.

You are going to love the Power trim/tilt.

They said it would be 3-4 wks. Had T&T and my last tiller Yam 60.
I am planning to put both TM and cranking batt. up front inside casting platform. I haven't moved the starting batt so far from the engine I am not sure what ga. wire to use. Its going to be around 8'. Looking into that.

LDUBS said:
I've seen a number of posts here on TB about sizing batt cable. Of course I can't remember any details. But do a search and I'll bet you get the answer your looking for.
Roger...looking

On my Starcraft with 25hp I do not use a transom saver. The skeg is higher than the axle, so what really is the purpose. The only time I had a problem was backing the trailer up a steep, grassy hill. The skeg hit and pushed the boat and bow stop. That was a mess, so I am very careful backing up.

On my Sylvan with a 150hp I'm sure it needs a transom saver, as the previous owner used one when I bought the boat. On my first launch, first experience with the boat and a transom saver, I snapped the thing like a twig. I loaded the boat and strapped it down and installed the transom saver, then noticed the boat was not winched up enough. Took the straps off to float the boat again but forgot the transom saver. Winched it to the bow stop and when I drove up the ramp it snapped. I replaced it with this thing that you could probably jack a house up with: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TTLV99W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

jethro said:
On my Starcraft with 25hp I do not use a transom saver. The skeg is higher than the axle, so what really is the purpose. The only time I had a problem was backing the trailer up a steep, grassy hill. The skeg hit and pushed the boat and bow stop. That was a mess, so I am very careful backing up.

On my Sylvan with a 150hp I'm sure it needs a transom saver, as the previous owner used one when I bought the boat. On my first launch, first experience with the boat and a transom saver, I snapped the thing like a twig. I loaded the boat and strapped it down and installed the transom saver, then noticed the boat was not winched up enough. Took the straps off to float the boat again but forgot the transom saver. Winched it to the bow stop and when I drove up the ramp it snapped. I replaced it with this thing that you could probably jack a house up with: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TTLV99W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Merc 25 handbook quote: IMPORTANT: Do not rely on the power trim/tilt system or tilt support lever to maintain proper ground clearance for
trailering. The outboard tilt support lever is not intended to support the outboard for trailering.

The skeg will be close to even with my rear ax [according to their schematic] with my mini jacker raising the engine 4.5 in. Im more concerned with the areas I have to 4x4 with the engine bouncing around without a TS. I got the one that mounts to the rear ax as I don't have a rear roller. Thx for your good info.

fyr4efect said:
jethro said:

Merc 25 handbook quote: IMPORTANT: Do not rely on the power trim/tilt system or tilt support lever to maintain proper ground clearance for
trailering. The outboard tilt support lever is not intended to support the outboard for trailering.

The skeg will be close to even with my rear ax [according to their schematic] with my mini jacker raising the engine 4.5 in. Im more concerned with the areas I have to 4x4 with the engine bouncing around without a TS. I got the one that mounts to the rear ax as I don't have a rear roller. Thx for your good info.

If you mount it to the axle the motor is going to bounce up and down every time the axle does. Best to attach it to the rear most frame cross member.

MrGiggles said:
fyr4efect said:
jethro said:

If you mount it to the axle the motor is going to bounce up and down every time the axle does. Best to attach it to the rear most frame cross member.

Yeah, that's what I meant, rear frame not rear axle. Corrected. The axle is a few ft forward of the rear frame. Anyway its installed. Now if I had a motor to attach it to.