Merc flywheel

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongo36

Reaction score
OK so whats the big secret to removing a flywheel? I have the main bolt out, and a harmonic balancer puller on it, and cannot get it to budge. I have tried to put a lot of tension on it with the puller and smack the main jack down, have had tension in it and been soaking it with slick 50. So PLEASE let me in on the secret??

I should add the guy I bought it from said he replaced the stator last year, well thats what I am trying to do, becuase I believe he used a used stator, the wires were butt spliced to the plug, giving it VERY bad Ohm readings. As tough as this is I find it hard to believe he had it off last year.

Hitting the top of your puller is no good for the bearings in your motor.When I removed mine I just used an air impact & when it popped it made quite the noise.Its a tapper fit with a key.

Impact gun works every time. It isn't age that got it tight. It is the fact that it is a taper fit, and has a reasonably high torque spec. You could pull one off, put it back on, torque it down, and it would be just as tight coming off.

tried electric impact on it, and it pulled on ot the bolts that I had threaded into the fly wheel right out.

Sorry fat fingers, I used an electric impact, and it actually pulled one of the bolts right out of the flywheel, and i stopped because I didn't want to wreck anything.

Somethings not right.Never had a flywheel pulling bolt strip out.Sounds like hole might have been messed up.

Trust me i am sure there is a lot not right with this motor, the more I go on. Started with something fairly simple now I have about $500 into it, and i can't even get the fly wheel off to see if it starts after i add the new parts. :evil: