Mercury 110 9.8 hp Cracked Housing?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danw77

Reaction score
I noticed these lines on the side of the housing. When I saw the first one, I thought it was a crack. When I noticed the second one, I wondered if they were from the casting. Now I'm not sure. There is a smear a gear oil across the housing in the area of whatever these marks are which also made me think they might be cracks (it's hard to see in the picture, but the oil is the darker area that extends about 1" above and 1" below whatever these are). Can anyone shed some light on this for me? If they are cracks, can they be fixed? If they aren't cracks, where is the oil coming from?

Attachments

• DSC01642.JPG
    DSC01642.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 355
  • DSC01643.JPG
    DSC01643.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 355
They look too straight and semytrical to me not to be from when it was cast. I would think there would be some twisting if it were a crack making it more jagged.

They appear to be casting lines.These areas on castings are considered to be a weak spot.I would clean the motor really well and go for a test ride,Then check it.I say a test ride to load the unit to allow seepage if it's leaking.It may be possible to weld it if it's cracked.Seek pro help on that.

Latest posts