Mercury 4 HP red band single cylinder ??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbotodd

Reaction score
working on this thing and I'm NOT familiar with it. I assume it's older than I am. I have it running but I can't seem to figure out how to shut the engine off? I don't see a kill switch anywhere on it.

Got it from my dad, I "think" it's a late 1960's model. It runs, believe it or not. Kind of a cute little motor. I have to put an impeller in it since it's totally disintegrated from sitting. I assume the impeller is available from Sierra. I plan on selling it, but I wont sell it until I know for sure it's a good motor. I wouldn't want anyone to get it and then it go down on 'em out in the middle of the lake somewhere.

Is there a manual available online somewhere?

I had a 66 model 3.9 hp which was the predecessor to the 4hp. It didn't have a kill switch either. Had to flip the choke on to kill it. I don't believe you'll find a manual online unless you mean one that you can download for a fee. Mine was so easy to start that once it was warm, you could pull the cover off and restart it by spinning the flywheel by hand. It didn't have a great idle because of the single cylinder but it did run pretty good all the way up until I sold it and the boat it was on. You can get the year model if you have the serial number.