mercury 9.8 problem starting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I just aquired a 73 model 9.8 Mercury. I got some gas and oil today and put it into a water barrel to start it. I changed the plugs to NGK also. after I hooked up the gas line and primed the bulb I atempted to start it. It hit a few times but wouldnt take off. I put it into gear so I could open it wide open and it started and ran sluggish,and died like it was flooded. Where should I go from here? Im new to boat motors. Any help appreciated.Thanks,Brian.

If the motor has been sitting a good carb rebuild would be in order to start off.Double check all your fuel fittings etc.

does it pop off easyer with the choke on or off? thats a good way to tell if your running rich (choke off) or lean (choke on)

ditto the carb clean/rebuild

A frequent problem on motors that set for awhile is corossion on the coil and flywheel contact surfaces, a simple sanding of the magnets on the flywheel and the contact surfaces on the coil will improve spark and assist in starting.

I have looked at a repair manual and think it might be a leaky fuel pump. The manual says that a pinhole in the diapraghm would leak into the cylinders and cause it to flood and look like an ignition problem. Ive ordered a new pump kit and will post what happens next. Brian

Latest posts