Minn Kota 55

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spg

Reaction score
Last year the shaft came out of the motor while I was using it. The motor vibrated as all get out. How much trouble is it to repair it myself. Watched a few u tube repairs but didn't really help me much. Sending out to factory repair shop is way to much money. Anything special I look for?

First order of business would be figuring out why the shaft came out, or rather why the motor fell off. If the housing is cracked at the threads, or the shaft is broken. Then those componens need to be replaced.

If I were you I would remove the cover on the top of the trolling motor. There should be two small white, yellow wires and two larger red and black wires going from the pedal, into the shaft head, then into the shaft, then into the motor. Disconnect the wires in the head and remove your motor assembly with wires attached. Also remove the screws that hold the bottom portion of the head to the shaft. Now it should be free to spin for when you thread your shaft back into the motor housing.

Set the motor on a bench, remove the propeller, remove the front bearing plate. There are two loooonnnggg bolts that go all the way through to the other side of the motor. You can then totally disassemble the motor. Clean any corrosion off of the copper windings or connections. Allow the motor assembly to thoroughly dry if damp. May not be a bad idea to replace the bearings and seals In the motor as wel. Reassemble motor, run wires back up the shaft, and thread the shaft back on the motor. Be sure to thoroughly seal the shaft with gasket sealer or epoxy!!!!!! If not water will get in the motor and destroy it.

Reassemble the top head by reattaching your lower head plate, then re connect your wires, be sure to heatshirnk the connections again or you will short them out to one another!!!! Reinstall the top head plate and let her rip!

I just repaired my motor as well, although I am a industrial mechanic this job was about as easy as it gets for me. But I understand mechanical systems as well as electrical. If you have any mechanical skills this should be very do-able!

I ordered all of my parts from Fish307.com. I am not affiliated but their prices are insainly low. I can't imagine they even mark them up at all with how cheap everything was for me.

Ask any more questions you may need! If you were around Chicago I would fix it for you for free!

"If I were you I would remove the cover on the top of the trolling motor. There should be two small white, yellow wires and two larger red and black wires going from the pedal, into the shaft head, then into the shaft, then into the motor. Disconnect the wires in the head and remove your motor assembly with wires attached. Also remove the screws that hold the bottom portion of the head to the shaft. Now it should be free to spin for when you thread your shaft back into the motor housing. "

Good advice....just one thing....TAKE A PICTURE of each part as you dis-assemble. You will thank me later.

richg99

Latest posts