Minn Kota Edge Hand Control Head is loose is it fixable?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beercap

Reaction score
I have a 2009 Minn Kota Edge Hand Control (the one with the hand tiller) bow mounted. The head wobbles from side to side and back and forth (fortunately the prop is still running solid so the important part works). Because they are only $309 new I'm not planning on repairing it or paying for parts, what is the best McGuyver fix (loctite?) to keep it running through 2013 until I can ask my wife for a new one for Xmas :)?

Have you taken the head off to inspect the shaft or housing? I wouldn't use glue in case you do need to take it apart some day. Can you shim it somehow or just use some black duct tape?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=315797#p315797 said:
Beercap » Yesterday, 13:13[/url]"]Screw isn't stripped and the housing isn't cracked nor does it have loose screws...
It would be helpful if you could specify where the wobble is coming from or why it has enough play to have the wobble.

Hey Beercap, The shaft is either heavy duty fiber glass or carbon fiber neither of which can take abrasion. Once the head starts
wobbling or flexing, it just wears away. I fixed a Minnkota Riptide 80lb with the same problem by carefully removing the head
and cutting an inch off the shaft and reassembling. It had a 60" shaft, so now its a 59. Regardless, it's tight and functional.
Wish I had taken a pic of the process, but here it's fixed....Jerry

Attachments

• DSC00505s.jpg
    DSC00505s.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 962

Latest posts