Minn Kota Edge hand tiller "upgrade" thrust w/ transom model

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beercap

Reaction score
I recently bought a hand tiller Minn Kota edge bow mounted mounted inexpensively on craigslist. When I noticed the motor and head looked almost identical to my 55 lbs thrust An idea dawned on me. Because you can already reverse the motor on a transom mount could you also replace the transom bracket with the edge bow bracket so you now have a 55 lbs thrust now mount?

Has anyone tried this?

I have not tried it bit I too have an edge hand control 45 and a endura c2 55 and the shafts are the same diameter so it should work. Ofcoarse than you would be left with no way to mount the edge and in all honesty on my 1648 I can't tell the diffrence between the two motors.

i have done it...its very simple...

you just take the head apart, and uplug the wires and slip them through..(mark the wires and what plug they go to with colored sharpies or something..i think there were like 4 or 5 if i remember correctly)

once you take the head off, just slide the transom mount off and slip the shaft in to the bow mount...keep track of the bushings and inserts... you will need to transfer the depth collar also...

so easy in fact that i just swapped one!!

i had a transom mount 30 endura with the extend/retract tiller... i bought a bow mount 40 edge hand control with the tilt tiller... i rather the extendable tiller than the tilt tiller, so i swapped the heads out... only thing is my bow mount tm will say its a 30 but its really a 40 and vice vera, but im not worried about that....

i prefer a bow mount than a transom mount on the front of my boat...and i prefer hand control ove a foot control...

theres 6 wires.... pos and neg from battery, and then you have a red and black that go to the foot, and then a white and a yellow that also go to the foot... im not sure what the white and yellow are for so be sure and mark where they go...

***this was minn kotas...im not sure if motorguides are as easily interchangeable...