Modding my SEARS 1972 12ft Aluminum V-Hull

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
after1.jpg

We've been getting a lot of rain and it causes me to stop progress...."what a bummer" :(

after13.jpg

I have to buy some more wood to finish the front and start cutting out my storage compartments, install hinges and handles, etc...
also I've decided to place the seats in the middle to help with the balance, so I'm going to change the placement of the seat plate.

BoatFlooring18.jpg

BoatFlooring34.jpg

All work is being done in the parking lot ! :LOL2:

i can't wait to see it when its complete...make sure to keep us posted on how it handles in the water after you are done

that's what I'm concerned about i just bought the exact same boat and i plan on making a removable deck so i can car top the boat when i need to.

I re-modded the back part of the boat platform....moved the seat plate to the middle for balance and made a storage compartment for my battery. by the way...check out my fishfinder !

update12.jpg

update15.jpg

update17.jpg

Looks good. If u coat all your wood in resin it will last a long time! Also idk bout that seat in the middle. It may not be comfortable to drive in. Also your transom looks presure treated. Aluminum boats an pressure treat is a no no

I treated the transom wood 3xs with Thompsom Waterseal and let it dry for a month. The seat plate part of the wood is going on top of the rear boat bench....plenty of support, don't ya think? It's a SWIVEL seat so I think I'll be alright. :lol:

BoatFlooring32.jpg

BoatFlooring33.jpg

geeksterman said:
I'm hoping that it will not be wobbly when I finally put it in the water [-o<

This...

I have the exact same boat, and have been watching this project with excitement to see what you're doing and how that will work with what I want to do.

I can't see how having the highest decks only an inch higher than the seats would make it wobbly, but that seems to be the concern of the day with this model boat.

I really can't wait to see how yours performs so that I can make plans around that myself.

Personally, I plan on removing all the seats and just having decking (upper at the seat level and lower just off the floor)

Let us know how it is in the water! In fact, if you take your framing and decking on the boat in the water without carpet, etc... that should be a great test, you know, just see if it's workable.

can't wait to see the rest

Pollution,
That's exactly what I will do...test the boat with the deck but NO CARPET and see how that works out. If it turns out ok, then I will carpet all the wood, but if it doesn't then I'm back to square one. Personaly...I don't think it will be a problem in reference to balance and float. :p The boat holds a total of 575 lbs and according to my calculations....with my weight, all my gear, wood, trolling motor, battery, etc...I still have 200 lbs left to play with. =D>