Mojo's 1995 Sea Nymph 1648

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Christmas is slowing me down but hopefully before the new year. I've only got 3 more hatches to do. Unfortunately like I said earlier, I'm having to take them apart and shave them down a bit to fit right. Also waiting for the last of the vinyl to show up.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=337058#p337058 said:
Mojo » 15 minutes ago[/url]"]Christmas is slowing me down but hopefully before the new year. I've only got 3 more hatches to do. Unfortunately like I said earlier, I'm having to take them apart and shave them down a bit to fit right. Also waiting for the last of the vinyl to show up.

All good bro, I'm in the same boat pardon the pun..................... :LOL2:

I will be fishing out of it soon. Just a couple of little things left then out for the Seadek.

The detail and amount of work you have put into this project is awesome. What a great job of envisioning and executing on your ideas. I've done two 16'ers over the years, but none to this level. Excellent job. We're all waiting to see the finished product.

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!

Thanks Scout! It's been a long haul but its almost done.

I'm 90% done with the project the only big thing left is the hatch for the bilge area. I got the front deck finished and and some odd's and ends cleaned up and were taking it fishing tomorrow!

My Dad has been hanging out the past couple of day's while I worked on the boat going thru his tackle and taking his reel's apart and greasing them up putting new line on and so forth. He's ready so were going to hit the lake in the AM and make sure it doesn't sink.

I had some nice vinyl Sea Nymph stickers to put on the boat. I learned the hard way that if you have already coated the outside with the super duper marine wax those things won't stick! I ruined one of the big ones so I guess it's just not going to have any stickers on the outside.

Also found out a few of my poles are just a tad too long to fit in my spiffy rod locker so I had to get a set of hold down's to go topside for the few that won't fit.

Here's the pictures so far.

Here's the monster tackle box my dad has. It won't fit in the storage locker its so dang big, So I put some SS hook catches on the sides of the cockpit so we could bungie cord it in place.
IMG527.jpg

Mini sticker for the console.
IMG526.jpg

Fish measuring stick right in front of the livewell. It's just a Metal yard stick from lowes that I cut down to fit and rivited in place. Bonus! It's yellow and black and matches my theme.
IMG453.jpg

And the shot you've been waiting for.. front deck completed.
IMG421.jpg

Anchor light mounted to the underside of the rod locker.
IMG425.jpg

Awesome job! I can only hope my build comes out half as nice as yours. I have that exact big tackle box, it is awesome but I moved mine to my garage and keep extra lures in it.

Happy 2014! I hope everyone had a Safe and Happy New Years Eve. :D

We took the Simi-finished tin out yesterday for the maiden voyage and I've got one word to say about the boat.. Awesome! It was everything I was hoping it would be.

First off sitting at the dock in the water the boat was level in the water. I was really apprehensive about all the weight that I put up front with the 12 Gal tank under the deck along with the batteries, TM and anchor not to mention all that .08 aluminum up top on the deck. I shouldn't have worried. It was sitting pretty and the water didn't even get up to the side chine running the length of the boat. I figure it drafts about 6 inch's with no one in it.

This boat is stable! I never felt like I was going to fall over and get thrown out. I walked right up to the edge and still had plenty of free board to the water.. I give credit to the weight I centerlined as much as possible gas tank and batteries. Spaced evenly.

The tune up on the engine was worth the money it started up and ran like a champ. All the weight I added to the front worked like I wanted and with both my Dad and I in the back when I opened her up she jumped up on plane like a champ.

After all the added decks and other weight I've lost about 4mph top speed. Before on the test cruise we got 22mph out of it now it top's out at 18. I'm happy with that. It's not the fastest boat on the water but we ran it all over the lake and put around 20 miles on her and the gas gauge needle never moved off full. That little 20 horse 4 stroke sips the gas.

We got some fishing done but unfortunately the fish just didn't want to play.. a cold front had just moved thru and they just weren't biting. :(

I learned a few things about my design. I need to beef up that TM mount. There was alot of flex in it when it was set to full power. Over time I can see it stressing the aluminum, So I'll run a few bolts all the way thru the bars to the deck underneath.

I liked the Cake pan TM tray I made for the foot control but I need to modify it. Going left is no problem, when you want to go right the angle for the pedal makes it awkward to keep the power button pressed. I need to get something in there to make that thing sit at an angle and not flat. Also I need to add some rubber feet to the bottom of the foot control. It was nice to take it out of the tray when I was facing sideways but the hard plastic slides all over the top of the vinyl.

Those 2 things were the only major problems and they really were not that big of a deal. All the lights and pumps work as planned. Both sonars work great. The seats are comfortable and we are spaced far enough apart front to back that no one is hitting the other persons rod when casting.

I love that rod locker but adding the tie down straps to the top was an outstanding idea. We just put all the rods we were using at the time on top and strapped them down when we decided to move. That was handy. I'll probably just use the locker when transporting and storing.

I've only got a few pictures from yesterday. Once the boat is totally finished I'll post a nice progress series.

Last, Thanks for all the encouragement guy's. I also appreciate all the kind comments.

Underway at the speed of slow.
IMG532.jpg

The speed wheel is a big fat liar! My phones GPS was reading 18.
IMG529.jpg

Pop's is happy with the new boat.
IMG530.jpg

I'm pretty happy with it also. :LOL2:
IMG531.jpg

Awesome. You have any pics that show the whole boat or is that when you complete the project?

Country Dave said:
That thing is bad azz. congratulations ......................................... =D> =D> =D>

You could work on my boat anytime!
High Praise Dave.. High Praise.. thanks bro!

DrNip said:
Awesome. You have any pics that show the whole boat or is that when you complete the project?
DrNip, Yes I'll be posting some overall boat shots when I get the last few items finished up and I call it complete.

Here's some fun stuff I found out. The flipping seat that I have stopped working the day we took it out fishing. It won't lock in the up position anymore and I figured out why. I've had that thing in my Brother in Law's boat for a couple of years and the salt air did a number on the gas cylinder inside of it. I took it apart today and it was corrosion city in there.

Here's what I found out thou by doing some online research. The gas cylinder used on the swivl-eze seats like that are the same standard one's used in most office chairs. So I went searching the web for a replacement.

If any of you have this issue DON'T order one from one of the office chair repair web sights those people are asking insane amounts of money for them.. I guess they figure buisness's just don't count the pennies like us rednecks. For a replacement of the same size it would have just been cheaper to get a new unit.

However I did find one that was close to the same size as that one on Ebay.. for $25. SO.. 25 bucks instead of 80 for a new unit.. golden. When I say close to the same size I'm talking about length. You HAVE to have the same cylinder diameter and end taper on any replacement you buy. It's all measured in mm so break out your metric ruler and check it before you order. If you are looking for them online they usually have a housing over bottom the stem that goes inside of the base of an office chair... this is no issue that thing comes right off and you can use the cylinder inside.

When I get the new unit I'll take pictures and show you guy's how to put this thing back together.

All taken apart
IMG533.jpg

This thing and the stem are the same as in any office chair you buy. The seals went bad from corrosion and all the gas leaked out.
IMG535.jpg

This was at the bottom on the inside. notice all the corrosion that fell out. There is supposed to be a small clip on the bottom of that to hold the bearings and bushings in place.. rusted away.
IMG534.jpg

Well I stayed up late this evening to finish up some odd's n ends. I'm just about to call this project done. Were taking it out to the river tomorrow to do a little fishing and I'll get some nice over all shots of the boat for you guys to see.

Until then here's the last of the projects that I finished up today.

The little ramp I made for the foot control.
IMG540.jpg

The second big vinyl sticker that I didn't mess up. I decided this would be a good place for it. Also you can see I added a net on the side to hold odd's n ends.
IMG538.jpg

Back deck complete. I have nothing in there to get to on a regular basis so we didn't add hinges and just made it drop in. Its so tight of a fit there is no fear of it bouncing out.
IMG537.jpg

Until tomorrow evening.

Ok.. It's Official. I'm calling her DONE. (mostly)

First I need to thank the whole TinBoats community, I went thru every build listed on this sight in preparation for doing this build and looked at what I liked and blatantly stole the idea! There are a lot of talented people out there who don't even know that they helped me out. I hope someone else down the road looks at what I did and finds something they can use.

Second, thanks for all the encouragement guy's. I know I didn't ask many questions but I did appreciate the occasional "Good Job and Atta Boy's" yall handed out.

Now a little advice for those of you working on your boats, Whatever you think its going to take materials wise.. it's going to take more! I used more rivets than I ever thought possible when I started this... around 1200 to date. Course I don't have any fancy welding equipment so I had to go old school.

Here's the Overall shot's that I promised. I'll still be doing a few minor things and updating those little projects and I'll also post that seat repair in case any of you would like to see it...

Once again Thanks for everything Tinboaters!

Mojo

IMG541.jpg

I climbed up on a ladder for this one.. risking my life for you guys.
IMG542.jpg

Ready to set sail.
IMG543.jpg

Holy ship shap that thing is swank! That is one of the cleanest interior jobs I've seen done. Great job!

Latest posts