More Bigguns From the Gravel Pitt

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilinimud

Reaction score
Well i put my boat in the biggest pitt today, these are the same pitts i caught my personal best a couple weeks ago. I posted some pics of it. I hadnt really fished the biggest one yet because i havent had a boat, but now i do. :D So i claim war!!

The first one was about 4lbs, the funny thing is my crankbait was fouled and it was spinning on top of the water, but making a lot of commotion. I dont know if this one was on a bed or what, but she killed it! My worse cast, and one of the best fish. LoL. I guess that shows to never give up on a cast. The skin was just hanging off this one, surely it wasnt from making a bed. I think maybe a Gar got ahold of it. Let me know what you think.

bloody1.jpg

bloody2.jpg

I realy shouldnt have caught this monster, she really just sucked it in. I felt a tick and thought it was the log i cast right next to, but then i though hey hooksets are free so i tugged, and went on a ride. Im assuming she was on a bed because of the huge gut. The water was only 56 degrees, and it has been getting into the 30's at night, so i was suprised to see all the big pregnant guts. It was in the 70's every day a couple weeks ago, and the water temp was low 60's. I think they started then, but we got a huge cold wave so i dont know what that does to them if them started thinking about spawing. Do they wait?

Anyway heres the pics.

biggun1.jpg

biggun2.jpg

nice fish.. the cold spell will send them back to deeper water and off the beds the water is still a bit cold at 55 for them to get busy..

Well they were all really shallow, in some places the temp was up to 58. I was shallow crankin all day, it was great!! I love it. Found some awesome cranks at Dicks on sale for 2.97. They are Manns C-4 Elite. I got a Bluegill, Baby Bass, Crawfish, and Yellow Black Back. They have real wide square bills and come through cover great.

I really like this shallow crankin, almost as much as lipless.

slim357 said:
=D> those are some big fish, id pick up a swimbait. Looks like a sweet lake too judging from the last pic

Yeah, i picked up some 5" swimbaits too, but i suck at rigging them. I tore the first one just practicing hooking em up. I think they are Reaction Strike, thats the brand name. I bought some weighted hooks for them. 6/0 size 3/8 weight. They have the weight up front, and screw on, so you dont have to pull the weight through the bait. Yet i still found a way to tear it. Does 3/8 sound too heavy?

I should have took some pics of the lake. That last pic is a part where two points come together. There is a channel just deep enough to bring the boat through. There in almost no cover in the lake, but it has a lot of islands. The little bit of cover it has is fallen trees off the islands.

Could still be bedding....last weeks full moon could still push the fish up regardless as long as it is within 6-7 degrees of the magic number!!!

Awesome fish Dude

My guess would be it is a wound from a bird - probably a heron. Those fish eating birds will take a swipe at anything - no matter how big

Latest posts