motor maintenance questions?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zukinutz

Reaction score
Hello all, what a wonderful forum! I am doing a conversion on my 14' flatbottom and this site has been very helpful. My question is this: I have a 1995 nissan 9.9 tiller-handled motor and it has been serviced this spring, i bought it in june and only ran it for a few minutes when i purchased it. Do I need to run it more often before storing it for the winter? How often do I service it? and how do I winterize? I'm not going to use it until next spring. Any info will help, thanx!

The more you run it, the better it will run. All I am going to say. Will leave winterizing tips up to those who actually have to winterize.

Alright, I guess I will answer.

To winterize it, put Stabil in the fuel, and then run the motor for 30 minutes or so, to really work its way into the motor. Drain the gearcase oil, and replace. If there is any water in the lube, it could freeze, and bust your gearcase - fresh lube solves that problem, as it isn't going to freeze at any normal temps. Fog the motor with a spray fogging oil. Put some duct tape or something over the exhaust, indicator stream, and air intake so you don't have some critter decide to make a nest in there. Keep the motor in the down (running) position if stored outside, as they are made to drain all cooling water in that position. If tilted up, it could pool up and freeze.

Latest posts