Adding A Second Motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danw77

Reaction score
I’ve got a 16’ Princecraft with. 25hp tiller motor. I’d like to add a 9.9 hp tiller to access a couple of restricted lakes near me. What’s the best way to do this? The 25hp is bolted on so swapping between motors is not an option. Should I just hang the 9.9 off the transom too when I need to use it? Or is adding it on a jack plate a better option? I’ve searched and surprisingly I haven’t been able to see anyone running a setup like this. Pics appreciated if anyone has any. Thanks

The HP restricted lakes in MY region (NC) won't let you launch if there's anything except the stated HP on the transom. They won't even let you launch and just use the trolling motor.... 9.9 MEANS 9.9......

The HP restricted lakes in MY region (NC) won't let you launch if there's anything except the stated HP on the transom. They won't even let you launch and just use the trolling motor.... 9.9 MEANS 9.9......
Thanks... but that's not an issue for me in my state.

It is very common to see kicker motor set-ups. If you can hang the kicker off the transom that would be the way I would go. Are you currently tiller or remote steering? Steering and throttle control will need to be addressed. Also think about how your Princecraft will handle the added weight on the transom (seems like it would be OK, but I don't know that boat's capacity spec's).

For weight savings and convenience, you could also consider a lighter weight portable motor like a 5 or 6 HP that you could throw on or off as needed.

Same here in Washington state. I asked if I could launch my gas boat on an electric only lake if I only used the electric motor. The answer was no.

I’ve got a 16’ Princecraft with. 25hp tiller motor. I’d like to add a 9.9 hp tiller to access a couple of restricted lakes near me. What’s the best way to do this? The 25hp is bolted on so swapping between motors is not an option. Should I just hang the 9.9 off the transom too when I need to use it? Or is adding it on a jack plate a better option? I’ve searched and surprisingly I haven’t been able to see anyone running a setup like this. Pics appreciated if anyone has any. Thanks

As far as removing a bolted on OB to run different a OB, I’d have no problem with this as long as both motors have the same bolt pattern. Unfortunately, a 9.9 and a 25 probably do not have the same bolt pattern. At least mine don’t. In this case a jack plate might be a better option than turning the transon into Swiss cheese.

I actually have three OBs for the small jet Jon that I’m building. A Suzuki 9.9/20hp, a Zuki 25hp and Merc 25hp jet that’s a 200 pound beast.

So far my favorite OB is the 9.9 that has been upgraded to 20hp. It’s light and it will push the bare hull around at 27mph. To look at it the decals and s/n indicate that it’s a 9.9. If I ever fished a restricted water I would simply limit use of the throttle so it acts like a 9.9. It’s also about a 15 minute job to reinstall the original ECM and restrictor plate so it’s actually a 9.9 again.

Running a 25 and 9.9 kicker on a small boat could get tricky. Like LDUBS said, think about the total weight on the transom.

Last edited:
I'm not one to believe what I'm told by so called authorities. I like to look up the actual law.
You wouldn't believe how many times I have found the so called authorities are wrong.

It is very common to see kicker motor set-ups. If you can hang the kicker off the transom that would be the way I would go. Are you currently tiller or remote steering? Steering and throttle control will need to be addressed. Also think about how your Princecraft will handle the added weight on the transom (seems like it would be OK, but I don't know that boat's capacity spec's).

For weight savings and convenience, you could also consider a lighter weight portable motor like a 5 or 6 HP that you could throw on or off as needed.
My current 25hp is a tiller and the 9.9 is a tiller also (I already have both motors). I run the 25hp on a couple lakes, plus the river and bay. I’m just trying to figure out the best/easiest way to run a 9.9 on the restricted lakes. It’s fine for me to have both on the boat as long as the 25hp isn’t in the water (verified through F&W and the actual legal code). These lakes are too big to be accessible by trolling motor and I already have the 9.9 as well.

I’ll pull the 25hp off if I have to (I’ve already done it to run the 9.9 in it’s place), but that’s a bit of a chore and I was hoping for an easier solution where I can just attach the 9.9 on those occasions when I need it. It makes sense to me to run this like a kicker setup, but I have not seen any such setups where both motors are tillers, hence my question. I was hoping to get some advice on the best way to do this, and maybe some “lessons learned” from those who have already tried this. My boat can handle the weight of both motors on the transom.

My current 25hp is a tiller and the 9.9 is a tiller also (I already have both motors). I run the 25hp on a couple lakes, plus the river and bay. I’m just trying to figure out the best/easiest way to run a 9.9 on the restricted lakes. It’s fine for me to have both on the boat as long as the 25hp isn’t in the water (verified through F&W and the actual legal code). These lakes are too big to be accessible by trolling motor and I already have the 9.9 as well.

I’ll pull the 25hp off if I have to (I’ve already done it to run the 9.9 in it’s place), but that’s a bit of a chore and I was hoping for an easier solution where I can just attach the 9.9 on those occasions when I need it. It makes sense to me to run this like a kicker setup, but I have not seen any such setups where both motors are tillers, hence my question. I was hoping to get some advice on the best way to do this, and maybe some “lessons learned” from those who have already tried this. My boat can handle the weight of both motors on the transom.
What are you using to swap motors? I have an 800 electric pound hoist hanging in my garage for when I need to lift heavy stuff,

Get a cherry picker or hoist. It will save your back and you won't drop your motor.

I have not done what you are talking about. But that won't stop me from happily offering an opinion! :)

If most of your time is spent using the 25, then I would try doing exactly what you say. Leave the 25 permanently mounted and hang the 9.9 those times you are heading to the restricted lakes. From what you say, your 25 will be tilted up out of the water. Steering the offset 9.9 night be awkward, but you won't be going very fast either. Keep it simple. Use it.

I have not done what you are talking about. But that won't stop me from happily offering an opinion! :)

If most of your time is spent using the 25, then I would try doing exactly what you say. Leave the 25 permanently mounted and hang the 9.9 those times you are heading to the restricted lakes. From what you say, your 25 will be tilted up out of the water. Steering the offset 9.9 night be awkward, but you won't be going very fast either. Keep it simple. Use it.
Thanks for the helpful, on topic reply. My concern was mostly the awkwardness of steering and making sure the 2 motors don’t interfere with each other. I guess there’s only one way to figure if it works or not. Still hoping some others will chime in with some tips or advice.

Hang the 9.9 and see if it can be steered, you should know by just sitting in the driveway.... adding a steering console and converting main engine to non tiller could solve any issues you might have....just a thought..

I run Monark 1644F (rated 70 hp) with a 35 hp evinrude and a yamaha T9.9 hp on hp restricted lakes. I keep the 35 centered when operating the t9.9 .
Add a motor tote.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240219_111330_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240219_111330_Gallery.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 0
Just make sure the transom is up to snuff to handle the aditional weight. If its good, hang it, split the gas line or if you use a fuel water seperator, most have additional ports to plug into for the second motor. One thing to think about is where side the tiller controls are for the kicker you'll be mounting. If using it as a tiller, most will work better if you mount it on the starboard side as the handle will be on the port side of the engine, making it easier to reach and control. But either side, whichever works better for you, will certainly work.

Hang the 9.9 and see if it can be steered, you should know by just sitting in the driveway.... adding a steering console and converting main engine to non tiller could solve any issues you might have....just a thought..

I thought about a steering linkage between the main motor and kicker, even with tiller steer on the main motor. If I read it correctly, he has to have the main motor tilted all the way out of the water when in restricted lakes. I don't think he can steer the kicker to the main motor.

On my 14' Starcraft with a 25hp 2 stroke I used to put a little 6hp 4 stroke on the side to do exactly what you are looking to do. Here in NH we can fish hp restricted lakes if the main has a trash bag duct taped over the motor and the prop is removed. Quite common on opening day for hp restricted trout ponds. I would mount it directly on the transom and just tiller steer it. Steering was never a problem but I obviously wasn't looking to plane out with a 6hp.

On my 14' Starcraft with a 25hp 2 stroke I used to put a little 6hp 4 stroke on the side to do exactly what you are looking to do. Here in NH we can fish hp restricted lakes if the main has a trash bag duct taped over the motor and the prop is removed. Quite common on opening day for hp restricted trout ponds. I would mount it directly on the transom and just tiller steer it. Steering was never a problem but I obviously wasn't looking to plane out with a 6hp.

That is the ticket. Don't overthink it. Just do it and go fishing.

Geez, thats a lot to do just to fish a horsepower restricted lake! We just can't start the main on our HP lakes, except in emergencies (weather, medical, etc). Heck they don't say anything to us if we use the main to load the boat on the trailer because kickers are a pita to keep straight when you're trying to line up the trailer.

Too funny, tape a trash bag over the motor and remove the prop. Where do they come up with ideas like this? I guess it’s easier than buying a second boat or removing the motor but, it sounds like they are just messing with people to see what extremes they will go to.