Motor ????/

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alumacraftjoe

Reaction score
Pull start rope broke on my evinrude 8hp last trip and was wondering if there is a special rope to buy or just any old one would work????????

Yes that is a certain size rope to work with the recoil.It doesn't cost that much.Maybe even a lawn mower shop will have your size.Bring a peice of your rope for a sample.
You didn't state year but an 8hp 1984 & on takes a 1/8" dia X 59 1/2" long.

Anywhere that has a GOOD supply of lines and ropes by the foot will have it. I had the same dilemma on my 1988 4 deluxe on vacation once, and the little convenience store/bait shop/hardware store/sea food store/gas station/grocery store (this place had everything from fresh seafood to bait to marine batteries to....), had about 6 different choices of 1/8 inch line by the foot, and it worked perfectly for me. What you don't want is a line with a core of a different material. Those do not work for outboards, as the outer covering will shear off, and jam up the starter.

bassboy1 said:
Anywhere that has a GOOD supply of lines and ropes by the foot will have it. I had the same dilemma on my 1988 4 deluxe on vacation once, and the little convenience store/bait shop/hardware store/sea food store/gas station/grocery store (this place had everything from fresh seafood to bait to marine batteries to....), had about 6 different choices of 1/8 inch line by the foot, and it worked perfectly for me. What you don't want is a line with a core of a different material. Those do not work for outboards, as the outer covering will shear off, and jam up the starter.

I have a '53 Johnson 5hp that that has happened to. The cloth braid over the cable core has has deteriorated and fouled up the works. The motor runs perfectly but I haven't taken the trouble to deal with the starter rope. Man, those old Johnsons were built to last. I bet when the archeologists unearth one about a million years from now it will start on the first pull. BTW, there were a lot of this model made, anybody know if there is a market for them? Mine is really a nice motor but it just sits in the garage. It would be nice if someone out there could be using it.

Not much of a market for them. I sold one in non restored, non running condition for 75 bucks a couple weeks ago. I sold it to a feller down in Acworth that restores them cosmetically, and resells them. He won't be getting much, if any, off this one, but has a repeat customer who wants one, and he doesn't mind taking a hit for this guy.

They are way to common for collectors to like, and are a dime a dozen.

bobberboy said:
bassboy1 said:

I have a '53 Johnson 5hp that that has happened to. The cloth braid over the cable core has has deteriorated and fouled up the works. The motor runs perfectly but I haven't taken the trouble to deal with the starter rope. Man, those old Johnsons were built to last. I bet when the archeologists unearth one about a million years from now it will start on the first pull. BTW, there were a lot of this model made, anybody know if there is a market for them? Mine is really a nice motor but it just sits in the garage. It would be nice if someone out there could be using it.
thats really going to depend on if you are selling it with the hose and tank. Just the motor without the tank os pretty much worthless to me. Its the tank and hose I would need to make it work.