Mounting Seat Base to Aluminum (No bottom access)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdhanlon27

Reaction score
Hey everyone ... first time posting to this forum, needing some advice. Been searching around the forums, but can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. So hopefully someone here will have the expertise.

I have a 1648 jon boat with side console - I want to mount a boat seat behind the console (see picture below where I want to mount it). As you can see, it currently just has the aluminum split seating in the back of the boat. So my question is what/how would be the best way to install a boat seat here on the aluminum seat? I thought about a plywood/carpet platform for the back, but am a little worried about weighing down the back too much. So I'm leaning towards just installing a seat mount to the aluminum .... but I don't want to just screw down a mount since the aluminum seems kinda flimsy & I'm thinking it would rip out over time. But I also don't have access to the bottom to be able to bolt it down. So suggestions? Thanks.

photo.JPG

My only skills revolve around woodworking so I would cut a plywood disc (or square) big enough so that part of it extends beyond the seat. I would then mount the swivel and seat to the plywood and screw the plywood to the aluminum. Hopefully the plywood would span enough area to reinforce the flexing aluminum. With a little more thought, you could make it a slider. It would only add three or four pounds to the rear of the boat.
If I had metalworking skills, I would do it with aluminum.
You should get about a hundred answers to this query because there might be that many opinions/styles/preferences.
If you do use wood, sand the edges and corners to avoid sharp hazards.

How much do you weigh, are you a big guy?

How are those tops attached to floatation pod/seats, are they just riveted on? Can you get us a closer pic of how the tops are attached?

Use toggle bolts...or install an inspection port where you can get your hand in there for traditional fasteners. I assume that area has flotation beneath it.

Rod
Oriental, NC

Determine what size seat and base will be installed, and how much/what size backing plates are needed for good support, then get a inspection/access hatch large enough for backing plates to be passed thru and inside the OEM seat, and fashion some backing plates from some WM cutting boards, and use SS hardware to mount it all. Might be able to use some of the space underneath the oem seat for storage if not filled with foam. may have remove some foam, but can replace it with pool noodles after the seat is installed.

I would screw a piece of plywood to the top and mount to that or pop rivet a sheet of aluminum down and pop rivet the seat to that. A hatch is another good option.

After reading through all of the posts, I like the idea of making it a slide. This way your could mount the sliding strip to the front of the seat and not have to drill any huge holes while still feeling pretty secure.

Not sure if I'm too late, but I have used what's called a rivnut. It's a threaded rivet. Has held my seats together well.

I know it is a little late but I added a swivel to the top of this slide and I have been very happy with it. The only place there is any pressure is on the front rail when you lean back and the bracket is not big enough to have a lot of leverage on the screws. Also it is fastened to the edge of my bench seat, which is the strongest point. There is only downward pressure on the back rail for the slide. The seat removes easily when you store the boat.

https://www.boatersland.com/atssp15100.html?gclid=CIrt9Yvtu7wCFVFk7AodDnAAmA