Murphy and I go fishing....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarobi

Reaction score
Not sure where to start with this one. My beast of a cousin (6"5", 350ish) and I went night fishing three evenings in a row, really got into 'em, so stayed until @2:00 AM the first two nights.. This left us about an hour a night to sleep. Worth it. The first two nights we really got into the female white bass, just slaughtered 'em. Caught 60 (2 limits each night) of them. We caught one nice flathead, a few walleye, and about a dozen keeper crappie. Then came fishing trip #3. Caveat, we were in a hurry to get there and park on our honey spot.

It started out with me forgetting to pop in the drain plug on the trusty '73 Lowe. A nice full power run then a quick pluggin' took care of the ten gallons of water I took on in seven seconds at the ramp. We get to the spot and tie up, bait up, and sit there probably ten minutes. I hook a slab walleye, get it to the boat, then while attempting to net it lose the thing. So I'm Yosemite Sammin' it so bad the Beast shakes his head, laughs, and decides to get a sandwich. His poles are on his right. He spins the chair (the chair protests with a loud squeak any time he even thinks about moving) to his left and reaches down into the cooler to nab a pb&J. "Bobby, you're getting a bite." He spins around just in time to see his pole leave the boat courtesy of either Leviathan or a really frisky goggle eye.

The wind picks up a bit later, so we decide to move about 30 yards around the point. I grab the cord to pull the anchor up. The cord breaks. The first failure of 550 paracord I've ever experienced. More Sammin' during a putt around the point to tie up in 25 feet of water onto a stob. We drop the lights again, sit there until about midnight, then had enough. We caught another walleye, four keeper crappie, three whites, and a channel cat.

We motor back to the ramp, the Beast jumps out for the 150 yd uphill walk to get the truck. while up there e told me later, some weirdo is talking nonsense as in, "I hope you have your pistol, this would be a good place to get robbed," and tried to follow him into the bathroom. His answer was, "My cousin brought his. I'm good."

Sooooo, we load the boat and drive up the hill to secure/tie down everything. The weirdo is now joined by two other weirdos acting weird. It's almost one a.m. I tell them not very tactfully to kick rocks. They do, we leave.

In the hurry to get there, we didn't stop to gas up the truck. Reasoning? We'll hit the store we always use on the way back, it's open 24 hours. We get to the store, it's closed. The next fuel is fifteen miles away, the opposite direction of where we need to go. We get three or four miles down the road, I'm pumping 50:1 mix out of my boat tank into the truck. We get to the store, gas up. everything is good. Even had a thirteen-hour-old convenience store "hot dog" apiece. Well, the Beast ate four.

Twenty miles later, a kamikaze deer jumps in front of us. whack. The Beast and I look at each other and bust out laughing. Then the thing jumps up, looks at us, runs off, jumping a fence as she did so. So, a $500 deductible and no free venison. I duct taped everything together and limped home.

The worst part of the whole trip was losing the walleye.

Luckily, the camera didn't explode before I snapped a few pics. Enjoy.

Note: these photos posted for the purposes of entertainment and Missoura fishin' creds only. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required.

Attachments

• walli.jpg
    walli.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 797
  • jon.jpg
    jon.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 797
  • bambi.jpg
    bambi.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 797
Got the pickup back yesterday from the shop. Used the downtime for a waterpump/lower unit fluid change. We're going again tomorrow night. Wish me luck.