How many of you like night fishing?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a poor Okie that can not afford store bait. Will fresh caught shad and bluegill work? Sometimes I go out and dig up worms under the rabbit cages. It is a hit and miss at times fishing.

I am a poor Okie that can not afford store bait. Will fresh caught shad and bluegill work? Sometimes I go out and dig up worms under the rabbit cages. It is a hit and miss at times fishing.
Fresh shad and bluegill are the best bait you can have for big catfish. We keep a cattle trough full of bluegills at the house. We also have a small pond I stocked with fathead minnows and crayfish. Baitshops want $7 a dozen for fatheads but you can go to the hatchery and buy 200 for $40 and if you can keep them alive they breed 4x a year.

Where I am from, bluegill and shad seem to bring in the larger catfish. My experience is that to catch bigger fish, use bigger bait.

Large pond on the place. I use wire traps for perch. Have a large wire cage for holding them in the pond. Found that a can of kipper snacks work great for bait
I use beef tongue or liver to bait the traps mostly because I always have a bunch on hand and it works.

Took the kids out the other night and caught a bunch of Crappie, Stripers and Hybrids and even a 5# largemouth. Nathan had the hot-stick, catching the first and the most stripers and Hybrids, all on a little crappie rod and jig.

Curious of what was down there, we used the Livescope, and it worked better than it ever has before. Not sure what changed. Super clear images this time, not just fuzz. Had a great time, calling it a night at 9:00, since the kids had school in the morning.

Didn't limit out on the stripers, but kept 5 nice ones. Let the LM bass go.

20231109_175906.jpg
20231109_184614.jpg

20231109_221217.jpg
20231109_220537.jpg

Maybe... They are spoiled when it comes to fishing. They live on a lake and I've been taking them since they were very young. Hopefully, they will appreciate it when they get older and look back.

Took the kids out the other night and caught a bunch of Crappie, Stripers and Hybrids and even a 5# largemouth. Nathan had the hot-stick, catching the first and the most stripers and Hybrids, all on a little crappie rod and jig.
Think of what he could have done if he had a good rod and jig? Sorry, couldn't resist.

What is interesting is that his brother and I were using heavier gear and bigger jigs, and Nathan outfished us with his crappie gear. I guess the fish were keyed in on smaller bait. I did catch the biggest striper on a 3" paddletail, but he caught twice as many as I did overall.

We all caught crappie, though. It was a fun night. Planning to go again on Thursday.