How many of you like night fishing?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I went early this morning. The boat I just finished rebuilding worked great. Drift sock kept us right at .5 mph. In 10mm h wind. Didn’t have to use the trolling motor much.
We drifted 20’ , 30 , all the way up to 60’. Several channels running through the lake. I’m still figuring out the new Garmin but I marked fish 30 and 40’ areas. Pretty sure they where bass. Not a thing in deeper water. The water temperature was 94-96 degrees (power plant lake.)
Ive fished flats creeks. Made several trips and have yet to get bit by a catfish. It was a good day to spend with my wife and try the boat out.
I’m going back to my favorite La Somerville about an hour away. I did a little drifting there in the past and got in the channel cats. Had two rods hit the same time more than once. The deeper water holds the big boys blues and channel. Lake also has flatheads I intend to hunt. Now that I’m set up better for drifting. I’m looking for someone to go night fishing there with me. My wife (the Admiral) made it clear I’m not going at night solo.

My wife and I went early this morning. The boat I just finished rebuilding worked great. Drift sock kept us right at .5 mph. In 10mm h wind. Didn’t have to use the trolling motor much.
We drifted 20’ , 30 , all the way up to 60’. Several channels running through the lake. I’m still figuring out the new Garmin but I marked fish 30 and 40’ areas. Pretty sure they where bass. Not a thing in deeper water. The water temperature was 94-96 degrees (power plant lake.)
Ive fished flats creeks. Made several trips and have yet to get bit by a catfish. It was a good day to spend with my wife and try the boat out.
I’m going back to my favorite La Somerville about an hour away. I did a little drifting there in the past and got in the channel cats. Had two rods hit the same time more than once. The deeper water holds the big boys blues and channel. Lake also has flatheads I intend to hunt. Now that I’m set up better for drifting. I’m looking for someone to go night fishing there with me. My wife (the Admiral) made it clear I’m not going at night solo.

Any day on the water is a good time. Catching is a bonus! BTW, surface of the lake I was on recently was 79 deg's. I thought that was pretty warm. I can't imagine 95-96 degrees.

Any day on the water is a good time. Catching is a bonus! BTW, surface of the lake I was on recently was 79 deg's. I thought that was pretty warm. I can't imagine 95-96 degrees.
I’d put my hands in the water after cutting bait and it felt like hot bath water.

I would be interesting to drop a thermometer in that lake to see where it cools off. I don’t think many fish would live long in 95 degree water. Take too long landing a fish and it would be pre-cooked in the net.

Night fishing is my favorite. Something about being out there in the calm darkness waiting for a flathead to hit. I fish on the Mississippi river. Wisconsin/Minnesota border area.
Never been but a dream maybe someday! quite a few song's and pictures in my mind though, The Great MISSISSIP

That's interesting. Usually, volcanic eruptions make the weather cool for awhile. Never heard of one causing the atmosphere to warm up before.

I would be interesting to drop a thermometer in that lake to see where it cools off. I don’t think many fish would live long in 95 degree water. Take too long landing a fish and it would be pre-cooked in the net.
They’re catching bass on top water early in the morning then using drop shots , Carolina rigs etc. when it gets later on.
We where mainly testing the boat out. After noon we didn’t see anyone fishing anymore. I marked fish at 30 and 40 feet. The deeper water had nothing. I’m still learning how to use the Garmin. I want to see if there’s a thermocline. I’m going back soon to adjust the link and sync and try my other prop out as well. The floor I put in is a lot lighter than the old one. The way it ran the other day seemed like I may need more weight in the front. I can make adjustments as to where my gear needs to ride.
I’ll figure out how to set the fish finder to show me a thermocline. The other power plant lake is on the other side of where I live. Fayette county is one of the best bass lakes in Texas. It’s temperature is the same but the last few reports say it’s in a thermocline and the bass are not biting. But catfish are good on cut bait. I may have to venture there. Usually it’s super crowded with big bass boats and it’s a small lake. The bass fisherman don’t appreciate someone anchored trying to catfish. Last time they kept passing by rocking my boat and one even yelled something at me. I was anchored off the point of a jetty and was in there way. Maybe not so crowded with the thermocline and I know there’s channel cat and the bass fisherman have complained about flatheads taking their lure by the dam.

Last edited:
Dripping Springs here in Omuggle county is a well known bass lake. No water skiing or tube riding allowed. The guys out in their high dollar bass boats leave the catfishermen alone. One reason is because the catfish are overcrowding the lake. Even jugs and troutlines are respected.

Dripping Springs here in Omuggle county is a well known bass lake. No water skiing or tube riding allowed. The guys out in their high dollar bass boats leave the catfishermen alone. One reason is because the catfish are overcrowding the lake. Even jugs and troutlines are respected.
Jugs are allowed but I was warned they would cut my lines by the dam.

They’re catching bass on top water early in the morning then using drop shots , Carolina rigs etc. when it gets later on.
We where mainly testing the boat out. After noon we didn’t see anyone fishing anymore. I marked fish at 30 and 40 feet. The deeper water had nothing. I’m still learning how to use the Garmin. I want to see if there’s a thermocline. I’m going back soon to adjust the link and sync and try my other prop out as well. The floor I put in is a lot lighter than the old one. The way it ran the other day seemed like I may need more weight in the front. I can make adjustments as to where my gear needs to ride.
I’ll figure out how to set the fish finder to show me a thermocline. The other power plant lake is on the other side of where I live. Fayette county is one of the best bass lakes in Texas. Its temperature is the same but the last few reports say it’s in a thermocline and the bass are not biting. But catfish are good on cut bait. I may have to venture there. Usually it’s super crowded with big bass boats and it’s a small lake. The bass fisherman don’t appreciate someone anchored trying to catfish. Last time they kept passing by rocking my boat and one even yelled something at me. I was anchored off the point of a jetty and was in their guessway. Maybe not so crowded with the thermocline and I know there’s channel cat and the bass fisherman have complained about flatheads taking their lure by the dam.

I guess I have trout on my brain. Bass are very resilient.

I would not tolerate that.
Me neither but it would mean guarding them 100% of the time. I complained at the office ((LCRA) and was told they get a lot of complaints about the harassment but they can’t call a patrolman for every little situation. I’m tempted to set jugs and if anyone gets near them take pictures. Also fishing take pictures of any boat that is coming to close trying to get their registration numbers in it. Then find me a game warden.
I have never seen any patrol boat out there. First I’ll call the game warden though and tell him what’s going on out there. I called him a while back to make sure jug lines were legal on that lake and he verified they are just no trotlines. Part of the problem is the other fisherman think jugs aren’t allowed.
EDIT: Sonny1, read my post after this one that tells even more about the problems out there.

Last edited:
I guess I have trout on my brain. Bass are very resilient.
Both power plant lakes are stocked with Florida hybrid black bass. Someone put some tilapia in Fayette county and they are thriving since the water stays warm year around. Now they’re an invasive species and if you catch any they have to be dead before you leave. Even if you catch one accidentally you can not release it alive. This attracts the folks that came from the border. You know what I mean. They’re throwing cast nets then selling the tilapia. All that cast netting on the shores is messing with the bass spawning. So the bass fisherman hate cast nets and I want to just catch bait for cut bait. Last time I was anchored I hooked and got me a brand new cast net.
There was a group of these guys in a 10’ flat bottom filling there boat with tilapia. They where seen late in the evening by a few folks and they all said the boat was barely out of the water. I think it was three out of five that drowned that night.

All I can say is am glad I fish Oklahoma. Round here you mesh with a guys jugs or trout line you stand a good chance of getting shot. Watched my wife's brother {long live his soul} empty two clips from a military 45 into the hull of a expensive bass boat for stealing his fish. I carry the same but shot Expert six years in the Marine Corps from 1975 to 1981

All I can say is am glad I fish Oklahoma. Round here you mesh with a guys jugs or trout line you stand a good chance of getting shot. Watched my wife's brother {long live his soul} empty two clips from a military 45 into the hull of a expensive bass boat for stealing his fish. I carry the same but shot Expert six years in the Marine Corps from 1975 to 1981
Oh how I wanted to do that sometimes. Guaranty everyone of them would remember what my boat looked like and leave me the heck alone.