Musky Surprise

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingCop

Reaction score
Spent a 3-day weekend with another couple in Pjhillips Wisconsin on Long Lake (6 hours from Chicago, northern Wis.). Caught a bunch of too small smallies and one keeper. Caught a bunch of too small walleyes and one 2 pounder which I tried to lift into the boat and it fell off :( Got into a mess of barely keeper size bluegills and caught enough for a good meal. Kept a couple of small walleyes to make another meal.

Saw a hugh and beautiful rainbow, saw a couple of eagles, broke off two blades of my prop just coming from the public launch to the cabin - no bouys or markers by the shallow water rocks :x Need a new or used prop for a Force 40 if anyone has any or know where I should look for a deal on one. Had to use the 9.9 kicker all three days so we didn't go too far.

Pulled up by the dam and I got out, taking a few lures and a stringer, climber over the berm down to the river which we were told was a good spot for walleyes and smallies. Threw a few jigs, then some spinners - no results. Put on a 4" Rapala Husky Jerk (baby bass pattern) as recommended by mtnman and on the 3rd cast WHAM, I crossed his eyes and he broke about 2 feet in the air. Fought him for about 10 minutes to get him to shore, threw down my rod and grabbed him with both hands and threw himm up on shore. Carried him up the berm to hold up for the others who stayed in the boat and the resort owner and his brother were also there so I have four adult witnesses - no one brought a camera out that night so I have no eveidence of my catch. :x That being the case, I'm calling it about 40" with HUGE teeth :lol: Caught him with my Citica casting reel, 6.5" XPS rod and 12lb Excel.

So... although we didn't catch a bunch, we didn't get skunked and I landed my first musky which I wasn't even fishing for.... All in all, a great weekend.006.JPG

FC, sorry about your prop but that is a great Smallie you caught. I hope I can do the same up in MN next week.

My post was probably way to long and I suspect many missed the point - the topic was "Musky Surprise" If you read the last couple of sentences, you'll see that I (accidently) caught my first ever Musky.... Most replies were about the rather average smallie I posted the picture of, but the real point of my post was about the MUSKY!!!!!!! (My first ever) :D

(Here's the part about catching a musky):

Pulled up by the dam and I got out, taking a few lures and a stringer, climbed over the berm down to the river which we were told was a good spot for walleyes and smallies. Threw a few jigs, then some spinners - no results. Put on a 4" Rapala Husky Jerk (baby bass pattern) as recommended by mtnman and on the 3rd cast WHAM, I crossed his eyes and he broke about 2 feet in the air. Fought him for about 10 minutes to get him to shore, threw down my rod and grabbed him with both hands and threw himm up on shore. Carried him up the berm to hold up for the others who stayed in the boat and the resort owner and his brother were also there so I have four adult witnesses - no one brought a camera out that night so I have no evidence of my catch. :x That being the case, I'm calling it about 40" with HUGE teeth :lol: Caught him with my Citica casting reel, 6.5" XPS rod and 12lb Excel.

So... although we didn't catch a bunch, we didn't get skunked and I landed my first musky which I wasn't even fishing for.... All in all, a great weekend.[/quote]