My 12' Jon conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticwhiteGT

Reaction score
So I bought this 12 foot jon boat from a guy in town with the intention of making it my project. It was ROUGH when i got it. It was definitely going to be a project and a half. I work night shift, so luckily, on my days off I can work all night without any distractions. I was able to do everything you see below in 4 days. I probably put about 40 hours of work into it too. So here it is, let me know what you think.

This is what it looked like when I got it

Pre2.jpg

Pre1.jpg

My first step was to sand the 30 some years of paint off of it and see what I was working with. I found out that one of the previous owners decided to replace all the rivets on the bottom with bolts which had rusted out. So I decided that instead of trying to repair the holes (which were now too big for rivets) I would just replace the bolts and use rubber and metal washers to help seal it up.

Caulking.jpg

Then I caulked around the ribs to help make it water tight again.

I also realized that the front seat had almost no styrofoam left inside of it. So I used expanding foam to fill it

Fillseat.jpg

Once all that was done, I then coated the inside of the boat with 2 coats of truck bed liner

Insidecoat1.jpg

After that dried, I began working on the platform for the front. I started by framing it with 1x2's instead of 2x4's to save weight.

Startofframing.jpg

Then I continued on the framing

Frontframing.jpg

frontframing2.jpg

Then I built supports into the front

frontsupports.jpg

Then I started cutting the plywood for the platform

platformcut.jpg

behindplatform.jpg

Then I made the rear seat

rearseatframing.jpg

Then I started carpeting the front platform

carpetingplatform.jpg

And this is what the platform looked like when it was done being carpeted

platformdone.jpg

Then I started mounting the seats on the pedestals and swivels

seats.jpg

Then I began to work on painting the bottom of the boat
First, I coated the bottom in a layer of truck bed liner for protection

bottomrhinolined.jpg

Then I painted the rest of the boat flat black

bottompainted.jpg

Then once it dried, I started on my camo pattern

camo.jpg

camoupclose.jpg

Once that was done and dried, I flipped it over and started assembly

I got the front in with the seat mounted

frontplatformwithseat.jpg

And then got the back done

rearplatformwithseat.jpg

And then for the finishing touches

finished1.jpg

And this is the final product. All that is left is to get it on a trailer, and get the motor repaired and I'll be out on the water

complete.jpg

complete2.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Looks good, I have a 12' also and at its widest spot its only 32". It's pretty tough to stand up in it but hopefully you will do better than I can

Yeah, It might be a little difficult to stand on, but I pretty much built it more or less to have somewhere to mount the foot controller and the trolling motor. I also built the deck to be completely removable if I want to, so if its too hard to fish off of, I can just pull it out.

How did you do the removable deck because I to have a boat just like yours. Will you tell me ho you did it and do you have any ideas for my Jon boat I am going to paint it woodland camo I have already sanded the boat and am ready to paint. I want to also put rod holders on it. Send me your ideas.

thanks

Bradley

I sent you instructions in a PM for how I made the deck removable. But as for tools and materials, really all I needed to use was a miter saw to cut the 2x4's, a jig saw to cut the plywood, and drill and some bits, a level / tape measure, some angle brackets, galvanized screws, some thompsons water seal to waterproof the wood, outdoor carpeting (you can get it at the home depot for about .49C a square foot), paint, truck bed liner, painters tape / rollers / paint trays etc, bolts/nuts/washers (metal and rubber), some seat pedestals / swivels / seats etc..pretty much your standard setup for any project. I had never done it before, so I just kind of drew out my ideas, and used the basics that I learned from other projects I had done. All together, it took me about 40-50 hours to complete. Any other questions, let me know im glad to help!

Looks good I'm just starting my boat not sure if I'm gunna use wood for framing or go with aluminum and some rivets!

Latest posts