My 1974 Polarkraft 1436 Jon Build!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00 mod

Reaction score
**posted on another board as well**(looking for ideas and recommendations)
Im new here, and actually found this site by looking for ideas on how to do this project...

I've grown up fishing with my dad, and after not fishing for several years, ok maybe 10, i've decided to get back in it! A couple years ago I ran across this deal on a 1974 Polarkraft 1436 jon boat and trailer for $350...so I jumped on it. Have taken it out a couple times over the last 3 or so years, and it's just hard to fish out of with the bench seats, no casting deck, trolling motor on the transom, and to be honest a little tipsy standing so high on the bench seats.

I've decided to remove bench seats, put full decking in bottom and mount bass style seats with pedestals. Oh yea and move the trolling motor to the front. So over the next few weeks I will be adding pictures to this thread and keep everyone up to date on how its going....

Started today with the removal of the bench seats...

***PS- before anyone jumps my case, I will use this boat in smaller ponds (5-35 acres) and electric only reservoirs around the area... I have done research and know that taking the foam seats out can allow the boat to twist under a gas motor, and also the chances of the boat swamping under bad conditions, but as I have stated this boat will see neither of those conditions...***

she wont look like this for long...
IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

step 1..removal of the seats
IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

2. sub flooring and wired
IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

3.flooring and walls roughed in
IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

4.carpeted floors and walls
IMG_0767.jpg

5. sanded and prepped boat
IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

6.painted underside with roll on bedliner
IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

7.installed finished floors and walls, painted upper portion of sides
IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

8.started adding accessories
IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0777.jpg

9.views of the storage
IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

Let me know what you think so far! Still have to add cup holders, rod holders, fish finder, trolling motor bracket and finish carpeting front part of deck!

Jeff from Memphis TN

:WELCOME: aboard!!!

Don't worry about the structural..... you have a lot of ribs that go up the sides, besides.... you just added all that lumber that tied everything all together.

She's coming along nicely.

Thanks for the welcomes !

Any suggestions on rod holders? I was thinking the Berkley ones from bass pro with the twisting lock so the rods can ride in the boat on the way to the lake? They are like $13.99? I would really like to find some of he old rugged gear rod holders with the Velcro straps but they don't make them anymore? What would you use?

i really cant comment on the rod holders but i like how you opened everything up! im only about an hour from you so maybe ill see this boat on the water someday! good luck!