My 1st 16' jon boat Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never seen a drain hole that large. Almost looks like it had a sleeve of some kind that got lost. I'll bet you can find a way to sleeve it. You will probably have to epoxy the sleeve in so it will fit a standard plug. Looks like you are having fun with the re-build. regards, Rich

richg99 said:
I've never seen a drain hole that large. Almost looks like it had a sleeve of some kind that got lost. I'll bet you can find a way to sleeve it. You will probably have to epoxy the sleeve in so it will fit a standard plug. Looks like you are having fun with the re-build. regards, Rich

X2

I think the only size plugs you will find @ BPS are 1" or 1 1/4" (could be wrong on this). I like the brass fiting idea.

I went to a boating shop and showed them and they said just to fill it with some epoxy stuff they sold me. I filled it and am going to take it out and see how i like it. I don't like the idea to have to turn on my bilge every time I want to empty it. Should i drill out the hole to fit the standard plug or should I make a new one?

I would fill in the old whole in with the epoxy. If you are going to drill a whole in the epoxy be careful, you could crack or pull the epoxy so it doesn't make a complete seal. I would drill a new whole and as soon as I could, I would have the old whole filled in with aluminium.

Just a couple of thoughts when its way too early in the morning. First find a brass fitting (try a local plumbing store) that matches your drain plug. Epoxy the brass fitting in your already existing drain hole. Then, you've already got matching drain plug and hole.

Second, carry something that will match the size of your current drain hole to use as a temporary plug just in case your whole assembly falls apart out on the lake. And keep it in a very handy place to get to quickly. At least until you have confidence in you modified drain plug and hole.

Finally got my boat out on the water to test it for leaks. Don't think it did. Not sure it rained on my way out there. I was mad but happy at the same time. At least I know she'll float for a couple hours at least.

Oldgeek said:
On Iboats they sell a brass plug kit. It has a fitting that fits on the outside with bolts or screws and then a brass plug screws in. My drain has been distorted and I may have to go to that if my plug leaks more than I'm comfortable with. I agree with going to Walmart and seeing if they have a larger plug first. Good luck!

+1. i see these at all the boating stores, pretty sure i even saw them at walmart. Just slide in the old hole, seal and screw in place. Easy fix and the right way to do it.

drain%20plug.jpg

11741-1-th.jpg

50032270.png