my axle & trailer fixed-FINISHED

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingBuds

Reaction score
I have already looked thru the archives for an answer and have not found nothing.

but, its a single axle and nothen fancy just bolted to the leaf springs but my tires leen out bad IMO like the boat is too havey for the trailer, but its a sturdy trailer. Heres a drawing of what im talken about
trailer.jpg

the axle has an arch to it but its an upward arch, something im not expecting with the tires leening like they do, i would figure it would arch the other way.

so anyways Ideas?

Trailer axles generally have positive camber so when loaded the zero out, they do this by arching the tube, sounds like you have something bent etc, can you post a photo?

Agreed, better to replace, than to try bending it back. It looks like a previous owner might have bent it up trying to straighten them out weakening the axle, or maybe a very rough bump on the road bounced the trailer up and down hard causing them to bend.

I saw my local Tractor Supply (TSC) had a 5 lug axle for a jon boat trailer for $109. Some of the local trailer stores may have some for cheaper, possibly used or reconditioned with wheels, if money is tight.

Back in the good ol' days, you could find solid rear axles off of front wheel drive cars that worked like a charm. :mrgreen:

I've used those a couple of times to swap out axles.

I just need to make sure its the same length as my old one? Or how close off can it be in length? just an inch or so?

anything else i need to measure?

so Im letting my dog outside right? Im standing at my kitchen door staring out thinking of my axle issue, and there under my biggo tree is my old trailer I used to hall my lawn mower back and forth for my parents to cut their grass with #-o

My brother bought two new tires for it 2 years ago #-o

well they got a lawn mower now and its just a 4x10 trailer not being used for anything that has sat for so long it seemed to disappear under the tree until today :lol:

I shall check out the axle I shall and see if it will work [-o<

After looking the axle over Im wondering if i just got to replace my wheel bearings and maybe the bushings on the leaf springs.

took the pics finally and you can see the wear on the tires, i can move one tire back and forth about a 1/2 inch and has the worst wear, and the other tire about a 1/4 inch.

heres the pics and what ya think? am I on the right track here or do ya still think i need a new axle?

left leaf from the back side with NO bushings
02-19-11_1708.jpg

right spring from back with NO bushings
02-19-11_1709.jpg

left tire
02-19-11_1713.jpg

right tire which is the worst and has the 1/2 inch play
02-19-11_1714.jpg

Here you can see the axle over all, may not be as bad as I thought?
02-19-11_1715.jpg

Some axles I have seen come with a bend, but opposite yours.
Flip the axle, easier to launch boat too. :lol:

ENIRB said:

That was my thought also.

FishingBuds, If your spring hangers and or bushings are worn to the point they are extremely loose that will cause excessive tire wear also. If they are loose a new axle may not stop the tire wear. The bushings and springs should be free enough to move but not sloppy loose.

KMixson said:
ENIRB said:

That was my thought also.

FishingBuds, If your spring hangers and or bushings are worn to the point they are extremely loose that will cause excessive tire wear also. If they are loose a new axle may not stop the tire wear. The bushings and springs should be free enough to move but not sloppy loose.

Just took it all apart, yea there wasn't MUCH LEFT IN BUSHINGS, it all was riding on the bolts just about, looks like this is what I'll do, I'll replace all the bushings and bearings. The axle seems to be the exact material as the rest of the trailer, it has all 4 differant colors that this trailer has been painted also, and the arch/bow is slightly there so im gonna do what you guys suggest on flipping it. Thinks.

I'll post before and after pics when im done with it.

i worked at a spring shop about a year ago, all the trailer springs i saw in there had plastic bushings in them, you might just be better off ordering new springs/ ubolts.

Latest posts