My First: 12' SeaKing Questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Mom

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just picked up my first boat (non kayak or canoe) and had a couple of questions. It has the ID plate on the transom but I can't figure out how to tell the year. The model number is 27125. Just wondering on the year for registration purposes. Thanks in advance if anyone has an idea. This will be the first of many questions as I get this boat ready for springtime fishing!

Brian

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

Ok so no dice on the year. No biggie. I know I can't do too much but I want to put in some front storage, rear storage behind the back seat and a low floorin the middle. If I take out the middle seat can I brace it to the new floor with diagonal braces to keep the boat safe. Not sure if I even need the braces in the middle after seeing another mod where it wasn't braced.

That is the same as my first boat...man I loved that think. I wish I still had it. I am unsure about the flooring but small storage in the rear and front should a fairly easy job. If you put a gas tank in the rear be sure you use vents.

Truckmechanic said:
That is the same as my first boat...man I loved that think. I wish I still had it. I am unsure about the flooring but small storage in the rear and front should a fairly easy job. If you put a gas tank in the rear be sure you use vents.

do you think if I boxed in the front and rear seats and put short pedestal seats on them it would be too tippy? What size motor did you have on yours. Did you modify the boat at all. Thanks.

countryboy210 said:
My Understanding, The Plate Rarely Gives "Made Date" Information. I Take It You Do Not Have A Title For The Boat; That's Where You Will Find The Age.

I live in Connecticut and all we need to reg is bill of sale. The issue I have is that this boat was last registered over ten years ago. It was given to my father in law at that time. So it hasn't been registered in a while and I don't have a
papertrail back to original owner.

What if you cant find an ID anywhere. The original transom was replaced and I cant find my ID anywhere. How do I register the boat?

Hi, first post here! I live in NY, had a 20 Year old Gruman Jon registered last Year, I actually purchased it back then but misplaced all papers then moved etc. I took a piece of paper over the transom plate, rubbed it with pencil till it was copied, the people at Motor vehicle looked it up, no record to be found, trhen just issue me a registration for the Year they thought it was build, no sweat really. I was surprised.

Well the boat is now registered. =D> =D> The Model number and Serial number didn't come up with anything in their computer so they gave me my reg number and said the hull number of the boat will also be the reg number.

So I guess the first step is a leak test then paint the outside of the boat. Sound right?

congrats, ive got the same boat though mines a acouple years younger (bench seats are alittle different). I think your's is early 80's
I cut my center bench out and made a storage box out of it, along with it still having a useable seat.

cant wait to see what ya do with'r

If I take out the middle seat can I brace it to the new floor with diagonal braces to keep the boat safe. Not sure if I even need the braces in the middle after seeing another

forgot to add, these things are flemy's as heck when you take the center seat out (did it to mine, then put it back), so brace it as much as possable. It wont seem that bad untill you load it full and get it in the water w/out a center bench

while your at it you may want to go ahead and give the transom some extra support. with a 7.5 mine flex'd untill it cracked even with new transom boards. Other than that ive got no complaints with mine, it will probably go to the grave with me

Mr. Mom said:
So I guess the first step is a leak test then paint the outside of the boat. Sound right?

Leak test did not go well. The seam on the bow where it meets up with the bottom seam had a leak. On the rear of the boat where the transom meets the floor there were numerous leaks. Now what? Would Gluv-it followed by steelflex stop the leaks? I can't narrow it down to one rivet that is leaking as both leaky areas are on a seam.

My last boat was that type/stile i used gal vet on it and it was a waste of money.Not sure if i did it right or not but i wouldn't use it again........

As for seal flex i have never used but by the people that have used it here it seams that their are good reviews.I would try it and do it as other here have.
Good luck
caveman

I know this has been beat to death on this board so thanks for bearing with me. I spoke to a guy this weekend that fixes up these kinds of boats and sells them and he recommended the re-bucking (sp) of the rivets and then using Marine-Tex in the areas of the leak. Sounds like that's the next step!

sells them and he recommended the re-bucking (sp) of the rivets and then using Marine-Tex in the areas of the leak. Sounds like that's the next step!

mine leaked from the same seam on each side. bucking the rivits and replacing a few of um fixed it for me. never used the tex but it cant hurt

As soon as spring gets here I'll get some pics for ya, the boats put up in the barn rite now

I found an old 12' SeaKing that had been sitting upside down on my parents property for about 15 years. The first registration sticker on the bottom expired in 1968, so I peg it at a '65. I tried to do some research on the SeaKing, the best I could find was that they were a Montgomery Ward product back in the 60's. I rebuilt mine last spring and had a ball doing it. All three bench seats were replaced, the gas tank was built into the middle seat, the battery was put in the front seat and a storage box was built in the front. There is also a removable deck on the front. I put carpet throughout, it really cuts down on the noise. It's a tippy little thing though, I wouldn't build any seats up much higher than the bench that's there. I'll attach some pictures, can't wait to see what you come up with.

Josh

Attachments

• Boat (6).JPG
    Boat (6).JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 512
  • Boat (5).JPG
    Boat (5).JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 512
  • Boat (4).JPG
    Boat (4).JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 512
  • Boat (3).JPG
    Boat (3).JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 512
  • Boat (1).JPG
    Boat (1).JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 512
thats got to be the nicest seaking ive seen so far kootz good job on the woodwork

what size outboard ya got there and how fast does it skoot you along if ya dont mind me askin?

Latest posts