My New 1432 Sears Gamefisher 1978

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topgun15v

Reaction score
OK here is my story. I love fishing, but just got married and have been strapped for money. I figured I would buy an older boat and fix it up as cash becomes available. I found this on Craigslist, but the guy I bought it from advertised it as a 42 not a 32. With it being my first jon boat, I couldn't tell the difference in the pictures and after a 2 hour drive round trip and borrowing my friends trailer I couldn't turn her down.

My wife loves to fish as well, so I am looking to make a good 2 person fishing boat for small lakes around the area here (mainly bass fishing, and carp fly fishing). I have read and seen some excellent ideas on this forum and I am very excited to start my own soon. Any ideas and recommendations would be beneficial as I am new to jon boats.

I do know that a 32 is very skinny and has had issues with stability and decks. I am looking to buy a 30lb thrust TM, then maybe a 2.5 or 5hp mercury. Let me know what you guys think, and I will keep you posted on my progression this winter! Thanks, Ryan

Attachments

• Tin1.jpg
    Tin1.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,716
  • Tin2.jpg
    Tin2.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,716
  • Tin3.jpg
    Tin3.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,716
  • Tin4.jpg
    Tin4.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,716
  • Tin5.jpg
    Tin5.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,716
Welcome aboard, you can update your profile to show your location, there might be some local help or parts.

For me, since it isn't what you really wanted I would do minimal mods, basicly clean it up, maybe paint it. Add some cleats and a seat mount to make it more user friendly and enjoy it while saving for the boat you really want to keep and use.

Enjoy,
Jamie

Thanks, I got my profile fixed up now. Yeah my real boat will be a 16ft Carolina Skiff J16, but its $7k.

On a simple build (paint, 2 seats, and carpet) how much do you think something like that will run? $300?

Thanks

Sounds doable. I would consider getting good seats now since it sucks to have a numb arse and aching back after an hour on the water. I ended up with a set of Tempress low back off eBay for about half price and love them.

For carpet, the cheap stuff from Lowes would work fine. A simpler setup if you have to manhandle the boat vs. trailer it would be to get some thinner wood or aluminum and carpet that and just lay it in the boat when you go out.

The boat looks good. An hour with a bristle brush and some good cleaner should shine it up nice. A can or two or flat OD green camo paint should have it looking like new.

Jamie

topgun15v said:
OK here is my story. I love fishing, but just got married and have been strapped for money. I figured I would buy an older boat and fix it up as cash becomes available. I found this on Craigslist, but the guy I bought it from advertised it as a 42 not a 32. With it being my first jon boat, I couldn't tell the difference in the pictures and after a 2 hour drive round trip and borrowing my friends trailer I couldn't turn her down.

My wife loves to fish as well, so I am looking to make a good 2 person fishing boat for small lakes around the area here (mainly bass fishing, and carp fly fishing). I have read and seen some excellent ideas on this forum and I am very excited to start my own soon. Any ideas and recommendations would be beneficial as I am new to jon boats.

I do know that a 32 is very skinny and has had issues with stability and decks. I am looking to buy a 30lb thrust TM, then maybe a 2.5 or 5hp mercury. Let me know what you guys think, and I will keep you posted on my progression this winter! Thanks, Ryan

Well, Ryan.
This is the first of many sacrifices in the game of marriage. Congrats btw.
I think it's a nice little tin and it's great your wife likes to fish. Then she will likely
appreciate the mods.
A small motor and a couple comfy seats will go a long way. Enjoy!

Thanks fellas. Just to clarify, I was outside again contemplating where to start and I have began pricing everything out.

Below is the breakdown on my costs that I was looking at over time.

$125 - boat cost (registration + $35)
$500 - Brand new 14ft trailer from Academy Sports
$200 - Brand new 30lb thrust trolling motor and battery
$300 - Repairs (paint, seats, carpet, electrical)
$800 - Possibly 2.5 Mercury or 5hp Briggs and Stratton

Since I will mainly be fishing lakes 100 acres and less, not sure if I need a big engine.

Now for the must have's on the boat:
2 fishing chairs (the higher the better)
Carpet
Storage Compartments
Cooler

First question regarding paint: Do I really have to strip down all of the old paint before I paint the new stuff on? Will a good primer be sufficient enough? I am going the dark green again, with a black top around the boarder.

I also started working on dimensions for a deck, and am contemplating a wood deck, or aluminum since I know weight will play a huge factor in this boat. I feel that wood can become to heavy and weigh the boat down. Any thoughts? I have seen some good aluminum frames, but don't want to go that route if it will cost significantly more.

Ditto that, get it wet, take a milk crate along to sit on top of the bench before you set anything in stone. Personally I'd get the pin base and mouint the seat to that. It gives you about 3-4" of clearance with a spring cushion. It ends up being around $4 per seat from WalMart, but the cheap flat black mounts with the ball bearings don't last but a year or two before the bearings start locking up. Plus you can migrate these to the new boat when you get it.

Jamie

Latest posts