My new project - 2-1

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustMel

Reaction score
Hello, I've been watching you guys do wonderful things for a while. I was inspired to do something myself. Well to start the story off I fish with my son on the weekends. We go to the Everglades and try to catch everything we can. We would fish off banks. After a year of getting tired of watching people go by in boats, I went to craigslist and got a cheap one ($220) coleman crawdad (same as the one on this site what was modded). I saw the upgrades but after a close call with an alligator with the slow trolling motor I need metal and a real motor. I went to craigslist again and got a 14" flats and a 15 johnson for $250 (I paid $300 by mistake, long story :( ).
103-0357_IMG.jpg

103-0359_IMG.jpg

Well long story short, the boat filled with water but the motor worked. Back to craigslist and found someone that wants to trade a boat for a motor, I had to get rid of the 2 boats so I went for it. It was the guy that sold me the crawdad (small world) and he said I could trade in both boats for one that I didn't have to plug so I can go fish. This is the boat I picked, it looked sturdy with all those ribs to my unexperienced eye.
back transom
NewBoat005.jpg

side view
NewBoat006.jpg

inside transom
NewBoat007.jpg

front view
NewBoat009.jpg

front hole
NewBoat010.jpg

broken seat
NewBoat013.jpg

does anyone know what kind of boat this is? Any ideas would be appreciated, I want to rip it apart :)

:WELCOME: Thanks for signing up.

That is a sturdy hull.Not sure who manufactured it.You can remove the benches and that rough bow cover.If the floor is 40 inches or wider you could deck it.If it's 36 to 40 inches you could do a short deck up to where the benches were.I'd use aluminum for the framing and untreated plywood for the decking.She should be solid.

Welcome to the site.
Don't have a clue on what type of boat that is.I don't think I've ever seen a boat that shape.
Good luck with your modding.

I like all the ribbing, looks strong! You should be able to do just about any layout you want with that one. It looks as though there are now chines on the bottom. I'm curious to hear how well it tracks for you. Keep the pics coming!

I finished the transom (for now).

NewBoat018.jpg

NewBoat019.jpg

I was told I need some 3M 5200 to seal it up but I just want to get it in the water and test her out, I will cut some more wood and weather proof it. I have a question, I created a frame for it, if it gets wet is it useless and I would have to make another one or I can treat it later and use it?

Ok, full day today. It stopped raining so instead of me just taking it on the water:
1. Worked on the framing.
Picture-276.jpg

Picture-274.jpg

Picture-277.jpg

Picture-275.jpg

I got to put the floor down, some hatches for storage, the chairs. Then I will work on the trailer, so many projects and so much time! At least I learned how to use a rivet tool. On the third one, I was decent! I want to learn how to use washers with them. I was actually scared of using the tool, I had it for a week and didn't touch it,now I riveting everything. Thanks forum, I am learning so much, hopefully I will be fishing by next weekend.

So I went to a boat fair. They had everything you could possibly want.

Picture-270.jpg

Picture-272.jpg

Picture-273.jpg

I got the trolling motor for $50, the 4 rod holders for $6, 2 battery holders for $2, pump for $10, 2 seats for free (from person that sold me the boats and invited me there) and the Hummingbird Lcr 3D for $20.

The story on the trolling motor is the handle is missing and the electronics messed up, it is 24v so I guess i will use the stand and my 30lb trolling motor - a good find. The holders are going in the floor for cat fishing. I have to figure out how to connect 2 batteries but I have one. The seats are old but they work. I will try to use the live well pump to get water out the boat.

I need help with the Hummingbird Lcr 3D because when I showed someone what I got, they told me I needed a transducer (huh?). I looked it up, a transducer does the sonar. Is this a good unit? And if it is, where and how much is the transducer. I need the power plug also. I guess for $20, the unit is all you get. The boat is a Duracraft by the way, I found the plate on it that fell off after I touched it :(.

Finding a transducer should be fun. May have to go right to humminbird. The same unit came with the project boat I picked up, I'm curious as to how it is too. If I replace it then here's your transducer. Looking forward to more to see more pics.

I spent Friday and Saturday on the boat instead of fishing :(. I can't take it anymore. Well I learned a lesson. 5/8 plywood is to heavy to deck the boat. It is sturdy but to heavy. Lord. well I didn't like how I laid out in the first place, I might even redo the framing, I have a lot of weight on the boat. I will find out when I put it in the water. I am learning as I go I guess. Any suggestions?

Couple of things to easy your mind.
4x8 sheet of 1/4" plywood weighs 25 pounds.
1/2" weighs 50 pounds, 3/4" weighs 75 pounds.
Preasure treated weighs even more.

2x4 are great for framing walls ans will work in a boat. 2x2 will also work and are 1/2" the weight. Regardless of which you use you should space the spans 16" on center. you could go to 24" on center with 3/4" plywood. Most use 1/2" plywood.

There is a difference between how much weight it takes to sink a boat, and how much weight it will safetly hold fully filled with water. There are some great formulas to figure it out. Suffice to say that the boat should have a max weight for people and gear on it somewhere. That is the amount of weight a boat filled with water will keep afloat. Put in more weight and it will slowely sink to the bottom.

There are a ton of great ideas in the mod section, and the project section.

Well I did alot of work to the boat and learned alot also.
first phase, in the water I fell in by the way :(
Picture-1166.jpg

Picture-1169.jpg

I did a search for the transducer but couldn't find it so I bought a Humminbird Easy Fishfinder 170 for $99 at bass pro. Then I put the boat decks together no carpet laid down yet to test it out on the water on a fishing day.

transducer to FishFinder
Picture-1182.jpg

back seat by engine
Picture-1186.jpg

front seat
Picture-1183.jpg

The boat didn't take noticeable water in when it had just the frame in. It takes water in with the decks now. I turned the binge pump on occasionally. it seemed to heavy, low water line. It was just me and my son so it felt safe enough to go out. With 2 adults I would doubt it. I am going to take what I have out the back and just lay 1/2 wood on the ribs with 2x4 between for support to lose some weight. 3/4 plywood is to much weight, I am thinking of taking apart the front deck but I do like the stability of the 3/4..... Any thoughts? I do have leaks, not holes, so would steelflex be enough? I live in miami so I can just pick it up tomorrow. The problem would be turning it over with the frame. Alot of work for nothing, I guess a learning experience... Any knowledge or opinions will be appreciated.

Hi.Umm,your transducer mounting seems alittle off to me,it's normally at the bottom of the boat,it will flip up if you hit something with it.Might not get a good reading where it's at,is it submerged when in the water?
Can you see where the water is coming in,around a rivit or maybe a bolt?
How much free board did you have?

rip your 2x4s into 2x2s and use those as your bracing. You can cut half the weight out by doing that. Use 2x2 runners, and then 2x2 supports on the underside from the deck to the boat floor. I would suggest going ahead and using 1/2" ply though... that will knock some weight out.

I didn't want to drill into the boat and the transom was half way. So I guess I will just bite the bullet and put the transducer on the bottom and drill into the boat. The fish finder was useless at speeds above 5 on the trolling motor. I hope that was the reason. I was fishing for cat at one point (after I caught 30 crappie and bass) and I noticed on one side of the boat I was getting a reading and on the other it was useless. Maybe that will fix it. Weight is definitely a problem. I guess I will work on that this week (framing from 2x4 to 2x2). I have to work on the trailer, I have a winch but no winch holder to attach it to and the bunks are not really lined up (long story, its a learning process believe me, my first boat). I need the winch and to get the bunks right so I can get the boat on correctly. I actually fell in the water because the throttle stuck on my 15 hp when I was using that to get the boat on the trailer. Not good because it was getting late and the gator that "resides" at the launch site at night was coming home and he is 12 feet :shock: I jumped out the water faster than Richard Pryor in The Toy. LOL

You can use commercial grade velcro for your transducer if you don't want to drill - I know I wouldn't.

Another thing you can do is use some 3M 5200 sealant to attach a small piece of wood to the lower part of your transom, then screw your transducer into that.

I think Bill's homemade idea would be perfect for you,they also make(aluminum)portable transducer holders,for sale at BPS,Cabelas,etc.
https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_387____SearchResults
Still think Bill's would work great for you.
If your having trouble getting your boat on the trailer,make yourself some guide ons(on the trailer) with either PVC,wood,metal.There great for centering the boat on the trailer and keeping you in place and out of the water.Theres tons of different styles,just google it or search guide ons here to see what you need to build your own.