My Rig

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarlF

Reaction score
Since I just joined a few weeks ago, I thought I would post some pics of my rig.
It's a 1998 SeaNymph (Lowe) 1440M with an 2000 Nissan 18 hp 2 stroke electric start. Bought the boat new in March of 1998, and the motor one year later in October 1999 (right after the 2000s came out).
I use it for duck hunting & fishing Mobile Bay and surrounding waters. It has been a great rig. Stable for a 40" wide boat, higher sided than most boats its size and handles rough water better than I ever expected.
During duck season, it is not unusual for me to have myself, a partner, 6-7 dzn decoys, blind & gear in the boat and it handles the load well. With the 18 hp, I can run about 18-20 mph with that load. I had a 9.9 on it the first year I had the boat and that was barely enough with a load. I reccomend at least a 15 on this boat if you are looking to buy one.
During fishing season, with a lighter load, I can run around 20-22 mph.
I have a Cuda fishfinder with a removable transduce mount on it. Also rigged the lights on it myself, use pole lights and pole clips for holders. Will post shots of that.
I use a small deepcycle for starting & running the lights/FF, etc.. I rigged up a battery box to hold the smaller battery as well as to mount the switches & 12v Outlet. This has worked great. I got over 6 years out of the first battery and the second one is still going strong. You used to be able to find these small deepcycles at Walmart but know the only place I 've seen them is Academy.
Feel free to ask questions about any rigging!!

1440MPortBow.jpg

1440MPortStern.jpg

1440MInteriorForward.jpg

Here is the bow light setup. I will post more pics with the stern light & battery box setup
1440MBowLightClips.jpg
1440MBowLightUp.jpg

Mostly anchor to fish. Usually fishing some sort of structure, such as oysterbeds, channel edges, jetties, bridges, etc.
If I need to move around small distances, I just grab the paddle and sit on the bow to paddle around.
Sometimes I will drift or pole grass flats, especially when the sheepshead and redfish are up on the flats in the fall.

Stern light setup.
I take it down when trailering and when not needed.
1440MAnchorLightClips.jpg
1440MAnchorLightUp.jpg

Battery box showing switch for light and 12V outlet. The 12V outlet just broke after 8 years of abuse.
1440MBatteryBoxOutside.jpg
And inside showing battery & fuses, etc.
1440MBatteryBoxInside.jpg

Stern storage area:
1440MFuelTankBatterBox.jpg

Here is the wiring plan for the battery box & lights. It has worked great for me.
It uses standard pole lights with the bases removed & then hard wiring them to a switch.

WiringPlan2.jpg

Nice rig man... I like all of your drawing and pics as well.. those pics and your knowledge will definitely help a lot of newbies as old timers on this site!

Welcome to the insanity... it only gets better from here!

Great ideas, I just purchased a 1440M and I like your floor. What did you do to install it?

That is clean!! You should have seen it at the end of duck season!

The Floor: I bought the floor from the dealer I bought the boat from, it is a Seanymph floor kit but for a 1648 hull. He lost his dealership right after I bought the boat (when Lowe bought out SeaNymph I believe) and it was a leftover, got it for cost. It is aluminum and it came with the foam to go under the floor too. Basically, I had to cut the front panels to length to fit my boat and had to cut some slots to fit the ribs at the gunnels, but other than that, it fit pretty well. I have it screwed down with self-tapping sheet metal screws, 4 per each rib.
The difference in a jon boat with a floor and without is night & day. Much easier to walk around with a floor. If you put in aluminum, make sure to put closed cell foam panels between the ribs, helps support the floor (can use thinner plate, cheaper) and deadens sound better.

Latest posts