My second round on tinboats ....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyodeputy

Reaction score
Hello everyone, been away for about a year now but the bug to restore has bitten me and what better place to share a project than Tinboats.net. Here's another 16x48 (make and model unknown).

I'm truly a glutton for punishment as you'll see. This next project is gonna take A LOT of work. So much so, I was taking it to the recycling center this morning to see what I could get outta it (which wasn't much by my calculations) and the wheels started turning. Much of what I thought was irreparable (exterior dents) may not be after all? Guess I'm kinda playing the Governor staying an execution at the 11th hour. We'll see how this goes? If it turns south, I may scrap the whole deal, order a death sentence and head back to the recycling center after all (for a grand payout of about 70 bucks).

My knowledge of the history behind this old boat is pretty limited. About 4 years ago, I picked it up in Georgia (Statham to be exact). I work with a guy (here in Wyoming) who had this boat growing up down there and said his dad was just about to give the thing away. I was going to Texas anyway so I figured I'd go a little further to pick it up. (Wish I'd have taken more pictures back then to illustrate the story)

It was an old DNR boat which had been beaten up badly. In fact, it had a series of electrical outlets rigged up which, I suppose, was used for shocking or fish counts? Whoever did the weld repairs (and there are lots of them) sure wasn't going for a cosmetic look ... just made stuff stick together which did keep the boat functional and afloat. I can see lots of grinding and welding (and more grinding and welding) in the future.
[/center]
Sorry in advance for no pictures from the beginning but to bring you up to speed, three days ago I was shoveling snow out and removing a carpeted piece of plywood screwed to the floor. Then I cut out the transom and front deck. This thing is a mess ...View attachment 4August 2009 002.jpgAugust 2009 006.jpgAugust 2009 009.jpgAugust 2009 005.jpg
We're off and running ... stay tuned

Attachments

• August 2009 004.jpg
    August 2009 004.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 2,091
I feel your pain. I'm working on a 1973 Duracraft that has been a booger. So much I gave up on it and bought a new to me boat. Just getting started on round 2 on it. Good luck man! Look forward to seeing you take Cinderella to the Ball.

:popcorn: Lawdog pulls up a chair and sits down. Subscribed!

Good luck and welcome back. Your previous thread was an inspiration to me and I've started a modest little mod thread started on my new little rig.

Looks like a good project boat. I'd be interested to see how this turns out. I have a 1652 Lowe and I am about 1/2-3/4 done.

After a few days work, I've got some progress to show.

As we all know, before beginning the work on any project, you gotta have a plan ... a vision if you will. But envisioning the completed project was difficult at best while staring at all the dents and dings; a fresh coat of paint wasn't gonna hide them. I could not commit the time and effort to restoring/modifying this boat if the finished product was gonna be so unsightly. I consider straightening all the dents but it would've be a herculean effort at best and I strongly doubted my abilities in this department.

So I came up with the idea of covering that bottom edge with aluminum plate and welding it in place. I'm hoping that spanning the valleys (indention's) will give a straighter edge and be more eye appealing. Doing this is gonna take A LOT of welding but as mentioned earlier, I must enjoy punishment.At some point in this boats life, steel flex was applied to the bottom. The steel flex on the bottom edge had to be removed before welding could begin and the paint on the sides as well. Steelflex doesn't come off easy, so out comes the grinder and wire wheel.August 2009 001.jpg

Here's the first couple plates welded on (maybe hard to see)August 2009 010.jpg

The aluminum is thicker on this boat (maybe .100" but I haven't checked) so its not as easy to burn through with the spoolgun as with my first project. However, I've opted to use .080" for the new sides so I've gotta be careful to stay off that area with the gunAugust 2009 012.jpg

This shot shows some of the hull damage to the bottom of the boat as well as one newly covered sides. I'm pretty happy with how this covering method is turning out and I think the sides are gonna be okay after all.August 2009 015.jpg

Here's the other side prep work after buffing off the paint above the rib.August 2009 013.jpg

And here's a close up of a finished weld. Some of you may recall my first project and the talented work of my buddy Ryan. Well he caught wind of this new project in the works and in no time he was on the scene. This top weld is his finished product ... a very nice looking bead.August 2009 017.jpg

Thanks for sharing - that is gonna be a beast of a boat when you are finished. Looks like it will be a fishing machine!

I just found your old posts on that lowe boat. Man that was awsome. I have posted some questions there about it. I hope this one turns out as great.

River Rider said:
I just found your old posts on that lowe boat. Man that was awsome. I have posted some questions there about it. I hope this one turns out as great.

Yeah, Caveman said it on that other thread, they make the blue-board in 1.5"... just gotta find a supplier that carries it. Good luck and Thanks for looking!

Wow, its been a couple of weeks since my last update. I've been working on the boat but welding on the new sides has taken longer than I anticipated and there wasn't anything new to show. But I've made progress, completed the sides, moved onto the transom and front.August 2009 005.jpgAugust 2009 002.jpgAugust 2009 004.jpgAugust 2009 007.jpgAugust 2009 009.jpgAugust 2009 011.jpgAugust 2009 012.jpgAugust 2009 015.jpgAugust 2009 017.jpgAugust 2009 019.jpg

That transom brace has that mushroom look of almost all the older MonArk boats I have seen. Mine looks just like that, riveting looks similar, etc. I would bet it's a MonArk, but can't be sure.

Looking good though!

ober51 said:
That transom brace has that mushroom look of almost all the older MonArk boats I have seen. Mine looks just like that, riveting looks similar, etc. I would bet it's a MonArk, but can't be sure.

Looking good though!

Good Call ! And you are correct ! Just found a VIN plaque at the front of the boat, that's long been painted over. I've got it soaking in some paint stripper so I can read it, but I was able to make out MonArk. Nice job !

This is going to be as good as the last one to watch...................................

Keep up the good work and pix. coming.

wyodeputy said:
ober51 said:

Looking good though!

Good Call ! And you are correct ! Just found a vin plaq at the front of the boat, that's long been painted over. I've got it soaking in some paint stripper so I can read it, but I was able to make out MonArk. Nice job !

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut, ha. Glad to hear it, though.

Wyo, she's coming along nicely. I approve of the jet plan. Mine runs in little water, where the ducks are. 8)