Nautolex/contact cement problem

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flywrecker

Reaction score
I just installed Nautolex vinyl flooring on a custom deck on my SeaArk. It rained slightly before the contact cement dried. A bit of residue ran. The residue made contact with a twisted nylon rope I left on the floor, which chemically melted and destroyed the rope (turned parts of the rope into globs of crap).

Now I've cleaned the mess, scrubbed the area with soap and water. There is a white stain/residue on the Nautolex. (Imagine spilling paint, the doing a bad job cleaning it, leaving a foggy white stain)

I believe the stain is a combination of contact cement and nylon rope residue, and has not changed the color of the Nautolex. Is there some type of cleaner that will not harm the Nautolex, but clean the residue?

Anyone make this mistake?

Thx

If you have scraps of Nautolex left try different solvents on them before you try cleaning the stain. I installed Nautolex on my boat and used lacquer thinner to remove a glue drip or two but it was still fresh at the time.