Nav lights and switches

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgpjr49

Reaction score
So I have a question that seems so simple I'm making it to hard, anyway if I install some nav lights that you plug in and take out once your done using is there a need to put a on off switch in the line since they will have constant power and when you pull them out of the bases the lights off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would. The chances of dropping a conductor into the socket are slim, but the contacts are exposed. I'm setting up nav lights on my 16' skiff. I'll probably just put a plug to attach the battery. Come to think of it, having a triple 12V socket would let me power a GPS, so I guess things'll be switched...

I would use a switch as well. But more importantly, don't forget to use the proper fuses.

Yes a was going to put an inline fuse since these 2 nav lights will be my only accessories I don't wanna put a fuse block in with so few accesories

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't put a switch on mine - but I have the covers on blocking the contacts anytime the posts aren't inserted. Yeah - something might blow my fuse if it fell in and managed to contact both, but odds are that won't happen, and if it does I carry extra fuses.

I have switches on mine. I turn on front Nav and rear white lights when under way and only rear ANC light when on anchor.
I can't remember if that is a Texas only thing or Coastguard rule.
Rob

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Ebug said:
I have switches on mine. I turn on front Nav and rear white lights when under way and only rear ANC light when on anchor.
Rob

CG

Ebug said:
Rob

I have the same. Also have a foot operated switch at the bow which turns the anchor light on/off so you can leave it off when night fishing and quickly turn it back on when another boat is coming. It makes fighting the bugs a lot easier on those summer nights.

Latest posts