Need advice on a rod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Ahab

Reaction score
Just purchased a Shimano Curado CU200E5 200 E5 baitcaster - now I need a rod to go with it. Mostly plan to use it for lake fishing bass. i am looking at:

Lamiglass Competitor Series 7' fast action CC 703

Loomis BSR852 MossyBack 7'1" Ex-Fast Medium

Shimano Crucial CRC70ML 7ft-0in, Med-Light, Fast,

Or maybe just another St. Croix

i tend to fish smaller baits and jigs - not always finesse but just a step above that. i also like a lighter more sensitive rod and would rather (occasionally) overload that rod then have to fish a heavier rod that I would typically under load

I'm loving the Loomis BSR853 I just bought. The 852 sounds right for how you plan to use it.

There is a local guy selling a Loomis Mossyback BCR 852....If he still has it you could get it cheap.

IIRC Loomis has a casting version of their shakey head rod, which would be a nice light bait, casting rod.

the E5 is a 5.0:1 ratio that is much better suited for deep cranking! My pairing for that reel is a medium moderate rod! For jigs I like a 7.0:1 for quicker line retrieve and smaller baits??? The main reason for such a slow ratio is to get the lure down deeper and less fatigue on your arm to get it there! Just my $.02
Jeff

LonLB said:
There is a local guy selling a Loomis Mossyback BCR 852....If he still has it you could get it cheap.

IIRC Loomis has a casting version of their shakey head rod, which would be a nice light bait, casting rod.

I am interested - can you get me the contact info?

Dave your an idiot, use your spinning gear for your baby baits and grow a pair and use a heavier rod already. You complained all last year how you couldnt throw the heavy baits with your baby rods and how you were gonna get a baitcaster for bigger stuff this year. If you buy anything less than 7' med hvy you are an idiot.....think king daddy frogs and 3/4oz jigs

I think you'd be happier with a BCR853. Itll handle all the light stuff you're talking about, plus it'll be able to handle the bigger worms and jigs. Great all around rod. I have 2 of them. I have a Curado 201E7 on one and a E50 on the other.

nathanielrthomas said:
I think you'd be happier with a BCR853. Itll handle all the light stuff you're talking about, plus it'll be able to handle the bigger worms and jigs. Great all around rod. I have 2 of them. I have a Curado 201E7 on one and a E50 on the other.

Gotta agree with the BCR 853 Mossyback.... that is my number one rod. Mine is paired with a Curado 200e7. I throw baits 3/16 up to 1oz with it with no problems... it is becoming my goto rod when the jig bite is on. I also use it for rattletraps and texas rigging

Thanks guys - I think I might go a little more heavy - Arrrrrgh So much tackle so little time.

i just determined that if i obtain a 2nd mortgage for my house that will free up some tackle monkey money - I will just get one of each :mrgreen: :oops: [-X

Captain Ahab said:
Thanks guys - I think I might go a little more heavy - Arrrrrgh So much tackle so little time.

i just determined that if i obtain a 2nd mortgage for my house that will free up some tackle monkey money - I will just get one of each :mrgreen: :oops: [-X
go for it add a 3 car garage and use to for tackle storage... I have a powell flipping stick it is a med heavy action fast tip it is awesome and the price was right

I have 12 loomis rods and can tel you they are fantastic but way over priced. look at rogue rods same blanks cheaper price.
I have a 7'2" carrot stick that can be had for a great price....hardly used.... let me know if you want to see it

russ010 said:
nathanielrthomas said:

Gotta agree with the BCR 853 Mossyback.... that is my number one rod. Mine is paired with a Curado 200e7. I throw baits 3/16 up to 1oz with it with no problems... it is becoming my goto rod when the jig bite is on. I also use it for rattletraps and texas rigging

Works great for weightless worms too with the extra fast tip, IMO

nathanielrthomas said:
russ010 said:
nathanielrthomas said:

Works great for weightless worms too with the extra fast tip, IMO

yea... didn't mention it will sling a weightless senko a mile

Redbug - fix your siggy!

emoticon-tv-002.gif