Need an axe, any suggestions on nice one?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since this has apparently sparked a lot of interest, may I also recommend "An Ax to Grind: A Practical Ax Manual", put out by the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, back when our government did useful stuff. A lot of really useful information for those who may not have much experience with axes, as well as those who grew up with them. I'm one of the latter, and when I found this a few months ago, it went into my list of reference material. Can't know TOO much about a tool that can cut yer leg off, iff'n ya ain't careful.

I prefer a Western Bowie knife for camp chores. It has a 9 3/8" long blade, rose wood handle and overall length is about 14". I use it to split firewood into kindling, cut up small trees/branches, move logs around in the fire etc.

I prefer an ax or chainsaw to cut up the firewood in the first place. No real need for a hachet, hand ax.

I have a really nice collapsing buck saw that I use for camoing and canoe trips. It is really good quality and stores in its own handle - https://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442238013&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302888390

I don't really need a new axe - I just want one! :oops:

Latest posts