need help choosing a rig

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Hartman

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I need a jet to run and fish my local river. I think inn liking the basic jet boat from alweld. I'm thinking the 1756. I want to stay basic to keep it light. I'd like a tiller engine. What size engine would I need to accommodate gear for two and the once in a blue moon camping gear?

I'd put at least a 60/40 on it. If you get a 60/40 I'd go with a 17' 52", but that's just me I like a narrower boat.

Bigger boat, more weight, at soem point you won't be able to plane. For the most part a 52" bottom is about the widest people get for a 60/40.
I run a 16' 42" with a 40/28 and it plains just fine. Beats alot of wider boats out of the hole.

If you are dead set on a 1756, I would at least try to get a 90/65 or 115/80 tiller motor. I'm not sure how big tiller engines go though. A 1752 would be the biggest hull I would consider using a 60/40 on. I have a 115/80 on my 1852 and it jumps up and runs great, but it is also a console and not a tiller.

I'm not dead set on that boat size.I was fishing from a 14 foot v hull Jon. And it did the job. Except for making it through shoals. But it wasn't a jet.

J Hartman said:
What would be a an ideal boat size for a 60 40? Like a 1652?
I'd say a 17' 48" . It depends on how heavy a load your gonna haul and what your plans are. Between 16' 48 to a 17' 52. I'd go witha 17' 48" rather then a 16'52" Like I said though I like a narrower boat.

Good information rude. I like as wide as I can get. occasional bow fishing happens so I like stability. that would work well for a1652? I'm a evinrude fan myself. I'd love a 75 rude with atiller but i'm not sure if they have it.

J Hartman said:
hey guys, I got my hands on a 150 merc XR2, What size boat could this engine go on? Could it power the 1756JC model boat by alweld?

That motor would be perfect for a boat of that size. I've seen people run 250 Mercury Pro XS engines on the back of 1756 Alwelds. That motor would push a 1756 Alweld in the low to mid 40 range I would think.

What style of river are you running? I have a 1756 g3 and am one of the few running a 90/65 on a boat this size.. most are 60/40, but on the susqy speed kills, literally. If you're running on a gravel bottom you can get away with speed, but rock shelves aren't very forgiving.. I've seen my boat with a 60/40, and it does fine as long as the load isn't too bad. With my motor i've had 4 people in it and have hardly noticed a drop in speed on the gps (about 2 mph).. It will depend on what you're planning on using it for, expected load, etc..

susqyg3 said:
What style of river are you running? I have a 1756 g3 and am one of the few running a 90/65 on a boat this size.. most are 60/40, but on the susqy speed kills, literally. If you're running on a gravel bottom you can get away with speed, but rock shelves aren't very forgiving.. I've seen my boat with a 60/40, and it does fine as long as the load isn't too bad. With my motor i've had 4 people in it and have hardly noticed a drop in speed on the gps (about 2 mph).. It will depend on what you're planning on using it for, expected load, etc..

My thinking is that you can always go slower with a bigger motor, but you can't go faster with a small motor. I would rather have more in the tank and not have to use it than the other way around.

I'm with seth, I'd rather have more power and not need it then need it and not have it. It's nice to be able to power out of a corner if you slide out a little to far. Plus you can plane out alot easier with the extra power.

I completely agree.. I was just giving another point of view.. my boat is rated up to 70, and I have a 90/65 four stroke on it.. From the factory the biggest they would come with was a 60/40, and the performance was pretty good with them.. High 20's is as fast as you really want to go on most parts of the susqy, I'm down right scared (and rightfully so) to go much more than that in certain areas, so I would think if he were running places like the Susqy a 60/40 would be sufficient for 2 guys

J Hartman said:
It's mostly gravel, how ever there is the occasional basketball sized rock.

I know Lowe1648 just picked up his alweld 1652J, with the 40 hp yammy jet. I drove it a couple of weekends ago, things handles great and rips out of the hole. We have mostly big rocks and gravel up here on the Miss and most other rivers. From what i remember he upgraded for the hull thickness and it was time.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=24964

Personally.. i would go with the .100 hull of either make, thicker will add weight but the .80 just aint enough for me..

So i'm all tore on what boat to purchase. Should I buy new? Or used? This will be my first jet boat. And an accident is probable. I mean... How shallow can I go? Lol. Just looking for any suggestions on this. Id like a bass boat style boat. One with front and rear decks with a console. Anyone know any good configurations on this? Id like a 17 foot boat.

How much are you looking to spend? A new 1756 or 1856 Alweld or Weldcraft (Legend) setup like a bass boat with front/back decks, livewells, etc and powered by a 150hp or bigger engine is going to run you in the 25k+ range for a brand new setup.

There are quite of few nice used boats for sale on Rollanet and Craigslist as well and way under the new price for the same setup.

I'm looking to spend some where in the ball park of 15,000. I don't want to invest much more than that although it is possible. There aren't any good jets on craigs in my neck of the woods. I search the nashville craigs daily for a jet boat ( usually along with jackson, and knoxville ).

I want the boat to have decks and a console, but be stripped out at the same time, as in no carpet no floor etc. Because most dealers add those things in for you at a nominal fee ( at least that is what i think i've been seeing). I'd rather do that work myself and save the money.

Latest posts