need help choosing a rig

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The duck river. I met up with a member on here before and he showed me his Snyder jet boat. I liked it a lot. But it is a little different than what I am wanting. His hull had to be .250 or something along those lines. Which is too much IMO. But I think I may try the caney some too eventually. Along with the Harpeth if that is possible.

I fish Duck River too. There is a custom jet jon for sale in Centerville on C List. A buddy in Columbia bought my old boat had one for sale. I think it was a Lowe. 50 Honda jet. I can see if he still has it if interested.

if you use searchtempest.com you can search craigslist within a certain radius of your area (miles).. You should be able to get a lot of boat for 15k if you go used.. I was fortunate and bought my jet used off an older guy who was downsizing.. the boat was immaculate, and even stored indoors at the dealership where he bought it new.. Are open to side and center consoles, or more the traditional dual / side console style boat?

J Hartman it may have been me that you meet with a Snyder. If i had known you was fishing the Duck before you got you hands on a 150 XR2 I would have recommended a G3 boat. I really think those boats would be great on the Duck. I sometimes wish I could have went with one of them, but like the insurance my boat gives me running the river. As far as other boats go I would just recommend something with a forward console to level the boat out and allow you to see. The Snyder is my 3rd jet and one of the boats I had was a Triton 176 Sport that never did run that great with a jet, because of the position of the console and the motor was not big enough for the boat. Let me know if you want to ride the Duck sometime and I can show some spots and a little about how to run the river.

anyone know how much that g3 goes for? I've looked at it once before. But at the time I wasn't ready to pull the trigger on a new rig (or new to me). I have my truck paid off now. So. that was the deal between me and the wife. Truck paid. New boat.

do yall think the 18 foot version would be too large for the duck river? If so would an etec 90 be good for the 1656? Don't wasn't to be under powered

I think the 18' G3 would be fine on the Duck. The only problem I see with it is if you go in a creek and try to turn around, which can be a problem even in a 16' boat. I think the 90/65 jet would be good on the 1656. This is just a guess because the hull weight is 830lbs and I had a 90/65 Yamaha jet on a boat that weigh 1064 lbs and it was just enough to keep the boat on plan, but it was setup like a bass boat the was heavy in the rear. I am not sure G3 will let you put a 90/65 jet on the 1656 since the max HP shows a 40 jet. I believe Anderson Marine in Nashville sales G3 boats and you might could talk to them. I bought a boat from them a few years ago and they were good people to deal with.

I have fished out of the 18' version and it's a sweet boat.. I have a 17' CC g3 and love it.. My only concern with the 90/65 on that hull would be the weight.. The motor would be pushing 450 if I remember correctly, so you'd probably see some squatting.. My 17' has a 99/65 4 stroke and it squats pretty good just sitting in the water without any extra weight in the rear..

Yeah, will it run shallow enough you think? It's not a true flat bottom right? Doesn't it have a shallow V? I'd think that a boat like that wouldn't be able to run is quite as shallow of water, and chickasaw is where i will mainly run the river most likely.

Slight Mod V's are better for jets than pure flatbottoms.. They help to keep the air away from intake.. I don't know if many boats run shallower than the g3 ccj's..

As far as price, it all depends on how you have it outfitted, but I would think you're looking 20-22 with trolling motor, etc.. I've seen a few sold used as low as 12k, but most are in the 15-18 range used.. Since G3 is owned by Yamaha, every new package has a yammy, and most used boats, unless they were repowered, will as well

I wonder if i'd have a problem getting just a boat. and not a boat and engine package. Because I'm pretty sure I want a two stroke, and... I'm partial to Everdude. (Evinrude)

You may be able to by a boat with out the motor, but doing that will probably cost you more. I know when I bought a Triton and added a jet it did cost me a little more because the motor came form someone else then I had it added to the boat. If you are running the Chickasaw Trace Park area I would think that boat would run shallow enough for you. If you are putting in at the park, your biggest problem is going to be loading and unloading the boat because of the way that ramp is built and gets filled in with dirt from the creek beside it. I use to run that area all the time and the only shoals upriver to worry about was the first one you come to and the last one before the spill way. I did go down river a few times and do not remember any that were bad going down.

Yeah i'm ready to have a jet for sure.Taylorhave you had any luck fishing this year? Seems all my biggest fish came between the spillway and hwy 50, I guess iron bridge is just fished out. Lol. Unless I could get on up parsed fountain creek. Hard to do in my prop boat. Lol. I will definitely look into that g3. Looks good online. Id like to see one in person.

Unfortunately my fishing has been limited this year. I was working out of town for 6 weeks, but when I was fishing my big fish were coming earlier this year with the warm weather we have had. I did get to go 2 weekends ago. They river was up a little and muddy we did have one nice smallmouth and plenty of drum and catfish on crank baits. If you are fishing a prop the best time to fish is during the spring when the river and creeks are up. Don't fish the river but find the clear creeks and have fun, I use to fish a prop out of Chickasaw and I actually was able to run to the spillway a few times, because the river would be so high when we fished. I usually don't fish Iron Bridge unless I have the kids with me and just want to catch some bluegill. It is way over fished and can be a hard area to fish. Lots of luck with the search, because I was in your shoes probably 10 years ago and now I am on my 3rd jet boat.

I will let you know if I see one. I am always looking at used boats, just to see if they have something I can use to improve my boat or just to look. I wish you luck in finding something I just had a buddy travel to Missouri to get a jet, because he wanted one now and there was not much out here. Would you be willing to make a long drive to get a boat? Just curious so I would know if I find one a little ways off.

Ok I need help again, I'm going to go ahead and fix up the Merc XR2 150 and Jet it. Boat suggestions for this rig? I have a trailer that will haul a 17' boat, I'm wanting to stay under $4K, I have the Engine and trailer, I just need a boat. Where would you go from here? It needs to be a side console because I cannot find a remote allowing this engines controls to be mounted on a center console. I figure I can get my first jet boat for around 4-5k if I use the Items I already have.

Dear J,

Talk to this guy

https://www.snyderboats.com/

Or this guy

https://www.rockproofboats.com/

They build outboard jets.

I wish I could have told you earlier that a 40/28 two stroke will push a 1685 commercial jon boat just fine with 3 people and a dog and a trolling motor and a big cooler with beer and food in it but then I would have been told I don't know anything?

One thing I know for certain, horsepower never caught a fish. Another thing I know for certain, you can't catch fish with gasoline.

Good luck!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :D