NEED HELP!! I want to convert my tiller motor to remote

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBassinBarber

Reaction score
I have a 1996 Mercury 25hp electric and pull start motor. I would really like to convert it from a tiller over to a rack and pinion steering motor. I have been searching and searching, but am having trouble finding exactly what I am looking for. What I need is to know exactly what parts I will need to purchase to make the conversion. I have seen the teleflex kits, but I think that is just the helm and the steering cable. Of course I know I need side controls, but could anyone please help me out with a list of parts I would need to complete the project? I figure if I cant find an answer here, then I cant find one anywhere.

Well I haven't done it, but it as planning on it.
You need the remote and ignition.
Helm and steering cable.
Shift and throttle cable
Wire harness or the knowledge on how to wire in your ignition etc.
A place to mount your throttle cable and shift cable. And a new arm link to attach the steer cable and arm between.

thank you for the reply, if you happen to do this anytime in the near future, please make like a tuturial video or something lol, maybe an exact part list of what you purchased and used. Thanks very much for the info though.

I am just the opposite, would like to have a tiller instead of my remote setup. Just seems like a better fishing setup to me.
Tim

I think I have all the parts leftover from a conversion TO tiller from remote. In any event I believe the factory dealer can get the kit you need.

Captain Ahab said:
U do not need a wire harness on a pull start
True, but he said he had an electric and pull start. With the wire harness he can use the electric start at the console.

Your are correct - I missed the part about having both systems

You need a wire harness - not a big deal - I think 4 wires? Anyway, pretty simple stuff

The wiring connector is in the factory kit. I will look up the parts later tonight if I remember. You will still have to buy a set of controls. The engine already has the steering tube but you will need the link. It's all fairly straightforward. Even the directions are clear and easy to follow.

thanks for the replies guys, i apologize for taking so long on checking back for replies, I have had some internet issues. Anyway, I will check the motor out tomorrow and grab the serial number since I cant get to it right at this moment. I really appreciate the help!

Latest posts